Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

An intense hummer war occurred Thursday (10-15) afternoon in Wesley's territory behind the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. As many as four Anna's hummingbirds were chasing each other, although I only got three of the combatants in any single photo. The skirmishes were interesting in that there were no retreats. The hummers simply rested on the same tree for a few minutes before resuming combat. The following are a few of the many shots I took. Just call me the Matthew Brady of the great Edmonds Marsh Hummer War of 2015.

I have pointed out three hummers in the first photo. Can you find all three in the remaining photos?
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
From Friday (10/16).

The nuthatches have been going crazy at my bird feeders. They are quite picky and will flip out several seeds like frisbees until they find one they like.
01.JPG

At Marina Park. A mystery gull that looks like it is transitioning out of breeding plumage.
02.JPG

2a.JPG

Last edited:
Monday (10/19) morning I saw a snipe off the #1 viewing platform. The snipe was hiding in the grass due to the high water level. Taken with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
01.JPG

02.JPG

I returned in the late afternoon with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter. The water had receded a little and the snipe moved closer to its usual location at the mud/plant interface.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday afternoon (10/20) I was driving into Edmonds on Hwy 104 when I spotted something out of the ordinary on a branch of the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds. I had to drive all the way down to Harbor Square in order to turn around and come back to the hatchery. The bird was a juvie red-tailed hawk, possibly the same one I had photographed last week being harassed by crows at the marsh.

The hawk flew back and forth between two of the tall trees at the hatchery before taking off southeast.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I drove to the marsh and caught the hawk returning to Pt. Edwards while I was at the #2 viewing platform.
05.JPG

Last edited:
A female kingfisher was perched on the "tree" off the #2 viewing platform where the martin gourds used to hang. Our local kingfishers are habituated to people and will pose for photographs.

5III + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

One again two snipes came out off the #1 viewing platform once the water level dropped.
04.JPG

Four male red-winged blackbirds were perched in the tall tree behind the #1 viewing platform. I have never seen males this close together, perhaps because it is not the mating season.
7DII + 100-400L II, hand-held
05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (10-21-2015, aka Back to the Future Day) I went to Ballinger Park while my son was playing tennis.

Even though it was cloudy at times, three turtles were out sunning themselves.
05.JPG

A small flock of red-winged blackbirds were present......
06.JPG

as were a few Savannah sparrows.
07.JPG

08.JPG

I got out Saturday morning (10/24) before the WSU-Arizona football game. Go Cougs!

The juvie red-tailed hawk continues to patrol the area of the marsh/fish hatchery/Pt. Edwards.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A male kingfisher was perched on the railroad's Mile Post 18 marker below Sunset Ave.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Monday (10/26) was a dark, overcast day at the marsh. I got in a brief photo session before it started to rain.

What the marsh may have looked like over 130 years ago before the town was developed.
01.JPG

A friend dropped by and promptly spotted two dunlin out in the large mudflat.
02.JPG

A size comparison of the dunlin, killdeer, and green-winged teals.
03.JPG

A hawk flew south along the west side of the marsh while we were at the #3 viewing platform. I assumed it was a Cooper's hawk, but it may have been a sharp-shinned hawk based on its small head; long, thin tail with a square tip; and the far forward position of the its mid-wing joints or "wrists" in relation to its head.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday (10/27) my son and I made a trip to the fishing pier where we ran into Jerome.

Some rhinoceros auklets were fishing off the fishing pier. People tossing crab nets into the water may have kept them from getting very close to the pier. At least one of the rhinos was still in breeding plumage.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A double-crested cormorant flew by, which gave Jerome and me a chance to practice our CIF (cormorants in flight) shots.
03.JPG

A flock of small shore birds were out flying out in the Sound. They were too far away for me to identify.
04.JPG

Hermann's gulls were strafing the water below the pier and scooping up tiny fish that were jumping out of the water.
05.JPG

Daren and I ended our photography at the marsh where we spotted a lone western(?) sandpiper in the mud flat nearest the #1 viewing platform.

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Some birds from Tuesday (11/3).

A cormorant at Mini Park (Sprague Pond) in Lynnwood. The birds at this park are much more habituated to people than birds at many other places.
01.JPG

I photographed a lone snipe at the usual spot at the Edmonds marsh.
02.JPG

After studying my photos on the computer, I discovered a second snipe hiding in the foliage. Can you spot it?
03.JPG

Cormorants at sunset off Ocean Ave. in Edmonds.
04.JPG

My son and I paid trips to the usual spots before going to the new James Bond movie.

A female northern harrier made a few circles over the marsh before heading northeast towards the marina and Puget Sound.
01.JPG

Very few birds were off the fishing pier.

Rhinoceros auklet taking a deep breath before diving.
02.JPG

Herrmann's gulls are still hanging around the marina.
03.JPG

Common murre.
04.JPG

A lone black scoter was floating near the ferry dock.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back