Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Edit: Sorry for the repetition of photos, but I cannot find any way to delete this post.

I was at the fishing pier Wednesday morning (9-28) and noticed a baby seal basking on the dock below the walkway to the fishing pier. The seal slipped into the water before I could get a photo, but I did see some adult salmon swim beneath me.
01.JPG

A few minutes later two swam past me full speed with an adult seal in hot pursuit. This may have been the mother of the baby.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I have since seen a seal inside the marina, no doubt waiting for dinner to swim past. The salmon were hatched at the nearby Willow Creek fish hatchery and were raised in the fish cage that hangs from the fishing pier every spring. They spend three (?) years at sea and return to the area to spawn. There are no free flowing streams to swim up, so they swim laps in the marina until they die. This will change if/when Willow Creek is daylighted.

Last edited:
I returned to the marina Friday morning (9/30) and got some shots of the baby. A member of the Seal Sitters has checked it out and said it appears to be well fed and in good health. This is a different baby than the one that hung out in the marina last winter and spring.

01.JPG

02.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

Some bird photos from Friday.

Edmonds fishing pier.
Mystery gull. The narrow, black bill looks like that of Bonaparte's gull, but there is no black patch behind the eye. I thought it was a mew gull, but a local birder said it was a ring-billed gull. Anyone with a better ID can post up here or send me an e-mail.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A trio of immature surf scoters flew overhead.
03.JPG

Lake Ballinger park in Mountlake Terrace.
Female belted kingfisher. Shot taken just before she took off.
04.JPG

Juvie Cooper's hawk. I'll have to look for it on future trips to the park to get some better photos.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Sunday afternoon (10/2) I found a Douglas's squirrel in Pine Ridge Park. Truthfully, the squirrel found me as it started barking when I approached.

01.JPG

02.JPG

It ran away after finishing the pine cone.
03.JPG

Last edited:
Some photos from Monday (10/3).

Heron in flight at the marsh. I tweaked the photo with Picasa's autocontrast.
01.JPG

Winter visitors are starting to fly into town. A squadron of surf scoters has been gathering off the ferry dock. It takes them a few weeks to habituate to people and start hunting for mussels imbedded in barnacles attached to the supports of the fishing pier.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The highest peaks of the Olympic Mts.have gotten their first snow of autumn.
001.JPG

I prefer gray days when photographing birds at the marsh and marina. Too much distortion caused by heat heat and reflection keep me from dragging out the big lens (500L + 1.4x teleconverter) and tripod on sunny days. Thursday's (10-6) overcast inspired me to get out and take some photos.

That morning Don and Katy continued their kingfisher konflict off Sunset Ave. I only got two fair shots of them when they were closest to the street.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The rest of the shots were taken when they flew out over the water. All taken with the 5DIII + 100-400L II zoom.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Daren and I visited the marsh after lunch with Terry. I got a group shot of the herons with the 7DII + 100-400L II.
01.JPG

Then I switched to the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter that I had drug out and mounted on the tripod for closeups.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

One to three red-tailed hawks usually spend the winter in the vicinity of the marsh. Friday afternoon (10-7) I found one perched high in the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds.
01.JPG

Even though it was probably 100 feet off the ground, in typical red-tailed fashion it took off shortly after I arrived.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

It flew to another nearby tall tree,then took off again.
05.JPG

I walked down to Willow Creek, then surprised two deer standing by the fish pond on my way back up to the pickup.
01.JPG

They left their hoof prints where they had paused to drink in the creek.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Final avian action was a continuation of the kingfisher konflict.

I believe this may be a first year female as she does not have as large a red band as Katy, the resident female at the marina.
01.JPG

She was chasing/being chased by this male.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Sunday afternoon (10-9) I spotted two Wilson's snipes at their usual location off the #1 viewing platform of the marsh, thus marking the opening day of snipe season. I dragged out the 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, but the photos were not good on account of the lighting and foliage.

Snipe #1
01.JPG

02.JPG

Snipe #2
03.JPG

04.JPG

Tuesday morning (10-11) I spotted a greater(?) yellowlegs from the #3 viewing platform of the marsh.
01.JPG

I returned in the afternoon and spotted it under slightly better lighting conditions from the #1 platform.
02.JPG

Yellowlegs make a distinctive call when they take off.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I had left the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4 teleconverter and tripod in the car. Shooting handheld with the 7DII + 100-400L II zoom gave me nearly the same focal length (680 vs 700mm) and it was much easier to track the bird in flight. I don't need the better high ISO capability of the 5DIII in bright sunlight.

Last edited:
Once a year I will see a northern harrier at the marsh. Harriers have never established themselves at the marsh, I believe in part due to the presence of crows. Saturday afternoon (10-16) I spotted one which circled the marsh between passes by trains and the resident Pt. Edwards bald eagle pair.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I was surprised to discover that I was photographing not one harrier, but two.
05.JPG

The two sat side-by-side for a minute, then began squabbling.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

The harriers shared the marsh with the resident pair of bald eagles.
09.JPG

10.JPG

Thursday morning (10-20) I mounted the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter on a tripod to photograph a small group of black scoters below Sunset Ave. This is the same spot where they hung out last winter. Their cousins, the surf scoters, prefer the areas around the ferry dock and the fishing pier.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Tuesday (10-25-16) a female kingfisher (Katy?) perched on the old martin gourd holder at the marsh. Like many birds that eat prey with bones and other indigestible parts, she threw them up. I once observed an eagle doing this, but was not quick enough to get a photo. This time around I kept the camera rolling.
IMG_0001.jpg

Look closely above the "branch" to see the item barely visible at the back of the kingfisher's mouth.
IMG_0002.jpg

Look below the "branch" to see the item after it has been ejected.
IMG_0003.jpg

After lightening her payload, she took off and flew over to the power line above Willow Creek, another of her favorite perches.
IMG_0004.jpg

While there she watched a train pass by.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Good catch, Bill! Most predators that swallow prey whole do the same thing. I got several shots of a short-eared owl "huckin' up a hairball" up at Eide Road last year...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back