Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I went up to Pt. Edwards to check on the eagles. I found one of them in the sentry tree, but another bird of even greater interest flew into the photo. Can you spot the two birds?
IMG_0001.jpg

Zooming in with some help.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The peregrine falcon took off and headed north.
IMG_0004.jpg

It looks like a juvie tundra variant.
IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (10-12-17) I drove up to Pt. Edwards to look for the eagle and noticed some crows diving at something perched on a treetop. I got out of the pickup for a better view and saw that the evil minions of the Dark Lord were harassing a fellow corvid, one of the Woodway ravens.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

This photo show the distinctive tapered tail of the raven, a good spotting feature to distinguish it from crows when relative size is not apparent. Crows have a rounded tail.
IMG_0005.jpg

I may have seen a pair of ravens at the marsh Tuesday, but my photos were to poor to ID the birds.

Speaking of the marsh, a spotted towhee spent a few minutes posing for me beside the boardwalk. This was relatively rare behavior for a towhee, as they like to spend most of their time hidden in the bushes.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Last stop was Sunset Ave., where a pair of kingfishers were chasing each other near the railroad tracks.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Some backyard birds from Friday the 13th. :eek:

I have heard house finch numbers are down in the area. Those that remain ones are all at my feeders.

IMG_0001.jpg

A Bewick's wren, one of my favorite little brown birds.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

There are at least three Steller's jays that raid this feeder. I saw a jay & squirrel mix (unshelled peanuts + large kernels of corn) at my local pet food store that I may try out this winter when my current bird seed stock runs low.

IMG_0004.jpg

Black-capped chickadee.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I had not seen a coyote at the marsh since 2015. Monday evening (10/16/17) I saw one.....

01.jpg

Then I saw three.

02.jpg

A heron landed dangerously close to two of them.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Backyard birds from a rainy Wednesday (10/18/17).

The crow on the left appears to have some kind of bill deformity.
01.jpg

A spotted towhee did not mind the rain.
02.jpg

03.jpg

Two from Sunset Ave. I did not want to set up the 500L telephoto on the tripod due to the wind and rain, so I braced it with my arm while I sat in the pickup with the window rolled down. A dozen Harlequin ducks were gathered around the tethered log at the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing. Some of the ducks were bathing in front of the log.
04.jpg

The ducks were joined by a rather late in the season Heermann's gull on the right end of the log.
05.jpg

Thursday afternoon (10-19-17) I spotted a first year northern shrike hunting small birds at the west end of marsh.
01.jpg

The shrike is nick-named the "butcher bird" for its habit of impaling its prey on branches or brambles while it eats. In this case, dinner appeared to be a yellow-rumped warbler.
02.jpg

This warbler had better be careful or it will be the second course.
03.jpg

The shrike made several passes and hovers over the marsh, which gave me the opportunity to photograph it in flight.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

The shrike was perched on the shrubs where Wesley usually perches. I prepped for a take-off as I assumed an approaching train would scare it.
07.jpg

08.jpg

It flew to the far south side of the marsh....
09.jpg

then returned to perch on a bush next to a telephone pole beside the tracks.
10.jpg

About once every 3-4 years I see a shrike at the marsh in the fall and winter. The shrike spent a lot of time hunting at the west end of the marsh near the #1 viewing platform. I would not be surprised if it stays for awhile.

Last edited:
About once every 3-4 years I see a shrike at the marsh in the fall and winter. The shrike spent a lot of time hunting at the west end of the marsh near the #1 viewing platform. I would not be surprised if it stays for awhile.

For the locals: I received an e-mail from someone who lives up in the condos that she has seen the shrike for over a week perched on a spar near the fish hatchery. I hope it spends the winter here, as there are plenty of little birds in the area to keep it fed.

Some artsy shots of a great blue heron on the beach at Brackett's Landing north Thursday (10/19). Yes, the photos were taken in color and not b&w.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Seasonal transients and winter visitors are starting to show up in the waters of Puget Sound off Edmonds.

Monday afternoon (10-23-17) from Brackett's Landing North.
I got a shot of a lone black scoter with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
01.jpg

Guess what happened by the time I got the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x TC mounted and leveled on the tripod for a closer shot. :mad:
02.jpg

Red-necked grebe
03.jpg

Common loon in transition plumage
04.jpg

Zombie-eyed horned grebe in time for Hallowe'en
05.jpg

A western grebe was out too far for a good photo.

Last edited:
The day had started out with the neighborhood's four resident Steller's jays (the Blues Brothers) raising a raucous in my back yard. I suspected the presence of a predator and found a juvie hawk eating a small bird in my neighbor's tree. With the high number of small birds at my seed feeders this fall, I wondered how long it would be before raptors and owls start showing up to dine at the birdie buffet.

Shooting over the fence through leaves and branches without scaring the bird was difficult. My photos included the tail feathers and legs, which may help answer the eternal question: Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk?

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A red-tailed hawk was circling over downtown Edmonds as we drove down Main St.
IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Photographs from a bright, sunny Tuesday (10-24-17) at the marsh.

Chickadees are always fun to shoot at the marsh as they are usually very active and fairly close.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

A western meadowlark was present. Only the second time I have seen one at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Doing its imitation of a starling by perching on the telephone lines by the railroad tracks.
IMG_0005.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back