Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Some birds at the marsh Wednesday (4/19) afternoon.

Male house finch.
IMG_0001.jpg

White-crowned sparrow picking a dandelion seed.
IMG_0002.jpg

Golden-crowned sparrow at the #3 viewing platform.
IMG_0004.jpg

Two male red-winged blackbirds on the east end of the marsh off the #4 viewing platform. Click on the photo to see their red shoulder patches contrasting against the background.
IMG_0003.jpg

I followed this Cooper's hawk across the marsh to a tree by Willow Creek.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (4/20/17) at the fishing pier, where many birds are in breeding plumage.

Horned grebe in transition.
IMG_0001.jpg

Horned grebe on full breeding plumage. The window to see them like this is narrow, as they will soon be leaving for their summer breeding grounds.
IMG_0002.jpg

Red-necked grebe in breeding plumage.
IMG_0003.jpg

Brandt's cormorant in breeding plumage (left) and a first winter juvie pelagic(?) (right).
IMG_0004.jpg

A pair of harlequin ducks.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
And finally, a double-crested cormorant in breeding plumage took off and flew past me just as I was photographing it from the north end of the fishing pier.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Terry, Daren, and I went out to the fishing pier Friday (4/21) afternoon. A pair of pigeon Guillemots in breeding plumage just below the pier provided entertainment.
IMG_0001.jpg

Underwater shots.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The birds were so close that I am sure they mistook me for Rocky. ;)
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Yesterday I posted up some distant shots of a flock of Bonaparte's gulls flying out in the Sound. Friday a lone bird was swimming off the fishing pier. Photographing it was very tricky. We had to use negative exposure compensation to keep from blowing out the white feathers, but we couldn't get the bird too dark or its distinctive black head (mating plumage) would disappear into the background of the water.
IMG_0001.jpg

Brandt's cormorant in breeding plumage. This week all three of our local cormorant species (double-crested, Brandt's and pelagic) have made appearances in breeding plumage.
IMG_0002.jpg

Next we went to the marsh, where the male red-winged blackbird that has claimed the patch of cattails by the #2 viewing platform was perched in the tree behind the platform.
IMG_0003.jpg

The marsh wren that has been singing off the #1 platform had an itch to scratch.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
A small flock of least sandpipers was at the marsh Saturday (4/22) evening before sunset.

There is a reason they are called "least" sandpipers. Compare their size to the killdeer.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

They are tiny little things, aren't they? I got one from about 15 feet away a couple of years ago - it was huddled in some rocks and didn't think I could see it...

They are tiny little things, aren't they? I got one from about 15 feet away a couple of years ago - it was huddled in some rocks and didn't think I could see it...
To put it into perspective, the least sandpiper's body is slightly shorter than that of the song sparrow, a regular at the marsh.

Some shots from Monday (4/24).

At the fishing pier:
western grebe
IMG_0001.jpg

rhinoceros auklets
IMG_0002.jpg

One of three Savannah sparrows
IMG_0003.jpg

red-breasted merganser
IMG_0004.jpg

red-necked grebe
IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last edited:
Pt. Edwards walkway:
The male rufous hummingbird that last year hung out just past the retention pond at the west end of the walkway appears to be back to spend another summer with us.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Marsh:
Wesley was out hunting for bugs near the #1 viewing platform.
IMG_0007.jpg

A flock of violet-green swallows was flying around the marsh.
IMG_0008.jpg

Male marsh wrens build several nests to entice a female. I located one nest of the male that has been serenading off the #1 viewing platform. He was plucking fuzz from a nearby cattail to line the nest.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Tuesday morning (4/25) I was parked on Sunset Ave. when I spotted some unfamiliar birds flying south past the tethered log in the dive park. Following my mantra of "shoot first and ask questions later", I took some grab shots. The shots were good enough to identify the birds as black oystercatchers, a bird usually not seen in my immediate area. Three local birders quickly came down to the waterfront after I reported my sighting to one of them.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
I went down to the fishing pier to look for the oystercatchers. A small flock of Barrow's goldeneye was looking for something to eat on the supports. I have seen surf scooters prying off and eating the mussels you see that are attached to the piers.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The black & white bird is the male.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
A nice group of shots, Bill! Nice to see the starfish too! BTW, I saw a female Rufous at out feeders today - as well as a few annas - so all is well.

Terry

Thursday afternoon's (4/27) avian action was at the marina.

A pair of yellow-rumped warblers were feeding in the marina parking lot.
01.jpg

Six Harlequin ducks were swimming south from the fishing pier.
02.jpg

One pair swam back north to forage on the marina breakwater and supports to the fishing pier.
03.jpg

04.jpg

A pigeon Guillemot was diving below the fishing pier between the pier and the marina breakwater.
05.jpg

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (4/28) two red-tailed hawks were engaged in courtship behavior high over Mountlake Terrace. I have only witnessed this once before. Photos were taken from the parking lot of Lake Ballinger. I wish the hawks had not been so far away.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

One hawk tucked in its wings and dove like a falcon.
IMG_0004.jpg

More overcast weather for May Day. A flock of shorebirds had landed at the marsh. The overcast cut down on the glare and heat waves rising off the mud, so I mounted the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC on a tripod and stayed a while.

I believe these are all dunlin. I have read that the length of the bills can vary quite a bit among individual birds. There were a few that were starting to develop the rufous back and black belly breeding plumage.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

This one had the furthest developed breeding plumage. Although it appeared to be larger than the others, I think it is a dunlin.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back