Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday evening (5/22) I checked out two osprey nests in nearby Lynnwood. Both nests were occupied.

First stop was the nest at the south end 48th Av. SW by City Wide Fence. I could hear babies chirping in the nest and the female popped up. The male flew in with a fish, stayed for a few minutes, then left with the fish.
01.jpg

02.jpg

It ate the fish perched on the nearby family tree, which lost its top this past winter.
03.jpg

The next stop was the Meadowdale softball complex, where I saw one in the nest at sunset.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of the lowest tides of the year on Puget Sound occur this week. Around noon Wednesday (5/24) I was photographing Caspian terns diving for fish off Sunset Ave. One caught a fish, lost it, then recovered it in mid-air.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (5/25) my son and I drove to Sprague Pond in Lynnwood. The gulls raised an uproar as an osprey passed over the pond. This puzzled me, as gulls usually don't get upset by osprey.
IMG_0001.jpg

I was looking at the wrong osprey. East of the pond an eagle was chasing an osprey with a fish.
IMG_0002.jpg

I suspect the osprey was one of a pair that has a nest on a light tower near the Edmonds School District's bus barn. The nest is visible from I-5. The pursuit went on for several minutes as the osprey circled its way southeast with the eagle on its tail. The eagle kept the same distance from the osprey, I assume to allow it time to snatch the fish should the osprey drop it.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The two birds turned to small dots in the distance, but the osprey refused to drop the fish. The tables turned as a second osprey appeared and began harassing the eagle, which went on the defensive. I don't know how the encounter ended as the birds disappeared into the distance.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

These aerial dogfights may be a regular occurrence if the eagle has staked out the osprey nest and flight patterns.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Around noon Wednesday (5/31/17) at Sunset Ave. I photographed two Caspian terns engaging in courtship behavior with a male delivering a fish to a female.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
About once a year I see a turkey vulture passing over Edmonds. Wednesday afternoon I met my year's quota.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I taken a vow of secrecy regarding the location of this pileated woodpecker burrow.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to Brackett's Landing Wednesday afternoon (5/31) for beachside shots of Caspian terns diving for fish.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have wondered what animal makes the paths through vegetation at the marsh. I found out Thursday evening (6/1) when I saw a small rabbit below the #1 viewing platform. I could not find references to any wild rabbit species native to our area, so I assume it is a descendant of a pet that escaped or was released.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swallows and their relatives have been quite active. Some shots from Tuesday (6/6).

Martin gourds near the ferry dock. They are attached to the pilings where the Pt. Edwards eagles often perch.
01.jpg

Violet-green swallows were at the nest box off the #3 viewing platform at the marsh....
02.jpg

03.jpg

but the box has been claimed by a pair of tree swallows.
04.jpg

05.jpg

I'll have to return to both locations with the 500mm lens + 1.4x TC.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some small birds Wed. evening (6/7) from the #1 viewing platform at the marsh.

Goldfinch.
01.jpg

02.jpg

Violet-green swallows.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes the wildlife comes to you. From my back deck Wednesday night.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

This one curled up on the top step. I assume it left once the rain started.
IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some Caspian terns flew over the marsh Thursday afternoon (6/8) while my son and I were waiting for an eagle to take off from its hiding place by Willow Creek. One tern was chasing and squawking at his buddy who had caught a fish.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (6/9) at Lake Ballinger Park in nearby Mountlake Terrace.

Black-capped chickadee.
01.jpg

02.jpg

The park is a good spot for Savannah sparrow.
03.jpg

04.jpg

An evil minion of the Dark Lord was attacking a gull. The gull got no sympathy from one of the resifdent eagles in the background, as it had been subject to similar harassment as well.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still trying for the perfect tern dive shot. About a half dozen terns were circling the Sound off Sunset Ave. Monday (6/12), which makes me wonder if there is a nesting colony nearby.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shots from Wednesday (6/14).

A male red-winged blackbird was singing in a light rain at the marsh.
IMG_0001.jpg

Practicing my swallows in flight shots at the marsh.
IMG_0002.jpg

No doubt about the location in Woodway of this spotted towhee.
IMG_0003.jpg

Some Heermann's gulls in breeding plumage at the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing. I could be mistaken, but it strikes me as being early to see these gulls in Edmonds.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (6/16) a friend and I spotted a green heron flying into a tree beside Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood. My friend used her binos to spot the heron's nest and three babies. I managed a poor shot of one of them.

IMG_0001.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com