Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Wednesday (7/5) I went to the marsh to check on migratory shore birds. An osprey circled the marsh and took two saltwater baths, the first time I have seen this behavior. Wider views were in order as the heat waves ruined closeups and tight crops.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Two evil minions of the Dark Lord were watching a fledgling in the foliage below the #1 viewing platform. As I approached, they waited to the last moment to fly to the shrub where Wesley the hummer usually perches.
IMG_0003.jpg

As soon as I turned my back, this one buzzed me and landed in the tree behind the boardwalk where I believe the nest is located.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
I returned in the evening hoping the heat waves would be less. A flock of what I believe are western sandpipers were present. These shots were the best I could do.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:
Western(?) sandpipers continue to stop at the marsh. A small flock was present Thursday (7/6) evening. Heat waves continue to ruin distance shots.
01.jpg

02.jpg

What I believe were three least sandpipers were also present. They remained separate from the westerns and did not fly off when the westerns did.
03.jpg

04.jpg

Two or three eastern cottontails were hopping around the #2 viewing platform at the marsh.
01.jpg

I tried to ID individual rabbits by their ears.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

This one was much smaller than the others, probably a baby.
05.jpg

Last edited:
Heat waves once again distorted distant shots of the sandpiper flock, so here is some violet-green swallow action off the #2 viewing platform.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I have photographed swallows removing "poop pellets" from the nest box. This one appeared to be removing old bedding material.
IMG_0004.jpg

Crows are notorious for raiding the nests of other birds. This one had poked its head inside the swallow nest box.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Late Saturday afternoon (7/8) at the marsh.

All but one of the violet-green swallows at the nest box off the #2 (main) viewing platform have fledged.
IMG_0001.jpg

The lone holdout still wants to be fed and is keeping its siblings from flying back inside the nest box.
IMG_0002.jpg

"Hey bro, don't come begging to me! Talk to mom and dad."
IMG_0003.jpg

"***** freeloader. I'm outta here."
IMG_0004.jpg

"Why can't he learn to fly and feed himself like we've had to."
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
About an hour before sunset Sunday (7/9) at the marsh.

A small flock of bushtits was in the trees behind the boardwalk. A male briefly paused to pose for me.
01.jpg

A mother mallard and her ducklings swim past a family of geese.
02.jpg

There are three birds in this photo. Can you spot them all?
03.jpg

The remaining unfledged violet-green swallow continues to beg for food from any swallow that passes by the nest box off the #2 (main) viewing platform, including its siblings that have already fledged.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
Some itty-bitty birds at the marsh Friday (7/14).

A black-capped chickadee was digging for larvae in what remains of the cattail heads.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Marsh wren fledgling.
IMG_0004.jpg

Song sparrow fledgling.
IMG_0005.jpg

Sunday (7/16) afternoon I spotted an adult Virginia rail in the circular mud flat off the boardwalk about halfway between the #1 and #2 viewing platforms. The rushes blocked a complete view of the bird, which ran into the vegetation as I was relocating for a clear shot. I am thankful for the shot I got, as it is my first photo of an adult rail in five years.

IMG_0001.jpg

Flocks of sandpipers continue to hang out at the marsh. They insist on remaining on the far south side, where distance and heat waves keep me from getting good photos.

Last edited:
Sandpipers continue to visit the marsh and the bright sunshine continues to make photographing them difficult. Best chance is in the early evening about two hours before sunset.

Monday (7/17) evening. I think these are least sandpipers due to their yellow legs.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I got some grab shots of five shorebirds flying over the walkway. They (naturally) landed in a far corner of the marsh where I could not see them. I think they are dowitchers, but I welcome other opinions.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

This may be one of the five, well beyond the effective range of my 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
A flock of bushtits kept flying between the trees behind the boardwalk and the marsh to forage in the plants.
IMG_0001.jpg

Marsh wren fledglings have been in the rushes off the #1 viewing platform.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Wednesday (7-19-17) I spent an hour an Sprague Pond while Daren was working out at the gym. Three kingfishers were raising a racket chasing each other around the pond, but they were too far and too fast for good shots.

One of the juvie green herons flew in and landed on a branch over the water, then relocated to another branch on the bank. Heat waves and foliage did not make for good, close crops.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
An adult landed in the nest tree and the juvie flew over to beg for a meal.
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The adult took off without feeding the juvie. Sorry, kid, you are on your own.

Friday afternoon (7/21) a mystery shorebird was wading on the far side of the marsh. Both photos were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1/4x TC mounted on a tripod.
The bird was definitely larger than the western and least sandpipers that we have been seeing for the past several weeks.
IMG_0001.jpg

Sasquatch shot, but it does show that the bird's legs were black. Leg color is an important factor in trying to ID shorebirds.
IMG_0002.jpg

A big lens was not necessary to photograph a juvie eastern cottontail that was grazing below the #1 viewing platform. It showed no fear of the three of us that were standing on the platform watching it, one of whom was a maintenance worker from Parks & Rec. He said that he has been many more rabbits in local parks than in years past.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:
I heard unusual screeching outside my window while I was sitting in front of the computer editing my day's photos. A juvie Cooper's hawk had caught a flicker and was dispatching it on the sidewalk across the street from my house. The hawk stayed there long enough for me to grab my camera, go outside, and take some photos before it flew off with the prey.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Two other flickers were raising a ruckus from nearby trees. Mourning their fallen companion?

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday morning (7/22) an osprey spent several minutes crying from a perch high in the raptor tree on Daley St. just east of 6th Ave.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Later that afternoon one circled the marsh and landed in the water. Heat waves precluded good shots. :mad:

IMG_0001_1.jpg

In what is becoming an annual event, heat waves kept me from getting good photos of two semipalmated plovers that were at the marsh. They resemble miniature killdeer.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back