Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dexter, my backyard Anna's hummingbird, welcomed in the new year. He continues to keep vigilance over "his" feeders on my back deck.
IMG_0001.jpg

The two females managed to sneak in for some quick drinks.
IMG_0002.jpg

They took off when Dexter flew in to refuel at the other feeder.
IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A falcon-esque bird flew over the marina while we were taking photos of the warbler. Merlin or juvie peregrine falcon?
IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son and I went down to the marsh Thursday afternoon (1-12-17). Wesley, the male Anna's hummer who guards the #1 viewing platform, was out hunting flying insects for protein to supplement his nectar diet. I figured I could get away with shooting at 1/2000 to freeze the hummer's wings as the bright sunshine coming it at the right angle would allow the camera's auto ISO feature to default to a manageable setting.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

My nemesis bird, the ruby-crowned kinglet, taunted me from behind the branches of the tree located by the #2 viewing platform. It was adding insult to injury, for I just missed a shot of a Virginia rail in the cattails below the viewing platform. It was the first rail I have seen at the marsh in three or four years.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another of my nemesis bird was looking for food and water along Willow Creek at the fish hatchery the afternoon of Friday the Thirteenth. Although it was in plain view for a kinglet, it teased me by refusing to display its ruby crown.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday morning (1/20) I got a few shots of backyard birds while filling my seed feeders.

Juvie(?) female Anna's hummer hiding in a rhododendron bush.
IMG_0001.jpg

A sharp-shinned hawk perched briefly in my neighbor's tree, then took off.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Black-capped chickadee.
IMG_0004.jpg

Chestnut-backed chickadee.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Tuesday morning (1-24-17). The herons have gotten used to the eagles as long as the eagles stay on the far south side of the marsh.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some shots from Saturday (1-28-17) afternoon.

A surfbird (top) and black turnstone (bottom) were foraging on the breakwater of the Edmonds marina. Photo taken from the south end of the fishing pier.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A horned grebe eating lunch off the fishing pier.
IMG_0003.jpg

Brant's cormorant.
IMG_0004.jpg

Two herons having a dispute at the marsh.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some small birds at the fish hatchery Monday afternoon (1-30). Taken with my 5DIII + old 100-400L telephoto zoom. The photos are a bit soft as the auto ISO settings were quite high due to the dim light.

Black-capped chickadee. I like the patterns of the bare branches. ISO = 6400
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Ruby-crowned kinglet with its ruby crown barely visible. ISO = 10000
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Chestnut-backed chickadee. ISO = 6400.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday morning (1/31) I photographed a small flock of wood ducks in a retention pond on the north side of 164th St. SW in Lynnwood.
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8502909,-122.264119,18.5z

To get to the pond, park at the parking lot for the artesian well. Walk west across the bridge over Swamp Creek and cross 25th Ave. W.
01.jpg

The pond is across 164th St. from the Avalon apartment complex.
02.jpg

There is a spot where the chain link fence is low and you can shoot over it through the leafless trees. You will need at least a 400mm telephoto lens to get some good shots.
03.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (2/1) I saw a gull making several tern type dives in the Sound below Sunset Ave.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The gull was after a crab, which it hauled up on the beach.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The baby gull is nearly as large as its mother, but it still mooches mom's meals.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some birds from the fishing pier Thursday afternoon (2/2).

A goldeneye was inside the marina hunting under water for small crabs hiding in the rocks beneath the walkway to the fishing pier.
IMG_0001.jpg

Katy, the resident belted kingfisher and official mascot of our local bird festival. http://pugetsoundbirdfest.com/
IMG_0002.jpg

Brant's cormorant with a fishing hook and line stuck near its mouth. Unfortunately, I recall photographing another such cormorant a few years ago.
IMG_0003.jpg

The hook and line did not seem to affect the bird.
IMG_0004.jpg

Red-breasted merganser.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two days of rain created high water and "Lake Edmonds" at the marsh. There were few places for the eagle or herons to land when the eagle did a fly over.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A flock of dunlin was flying back and forth below Sunset Ave. Friday afternoon (2-10-17) while working its way south.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001_1.jpg

IMG_0001_2.jpg

IMG_0002_1.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday morning (2/16) I caught the dunlin flock on the tethered log at the dive park at Brackett's Landing. Taken from Sunset Ave. with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Later that afternoon my son and I went down to Brackett's Landing for closer shots. Much of the flock had left, but some remained on the log.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both the birds and the sun were out Friday afternoon (2/24/17). I started the photo mission at Sprague Pond in Lynnwood's Mini Park.

A flock of ring-necked ducks was in the pond. In the past I have seen 2-3 of these ducks, but never a flock.
IMG_0001.jpg

I call double-crested cormorants "dragon birds" because their feathers look like scales of a dragon.
IMG_0002.jpg

The feathers of cormorants do not contain any water repellent oils, so the birds must thoroughly dry themselves after getting wet.
IMG_0003.jpg

Yoga pose?
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing special was happening at the Edmonds marsh, so I moved on to the marina where I caught Katy the kingfisher hunting for fish from various perches. She has habituated to the presence of people at the marina as some of these spots were fairly close to the walkway and fishing pier.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two immature male surf scoters were just off the fishing pier. I have seen small groups of these birds this winter, but not large flocks like in winters past.

Light and water conditions were just right for me to get shots of them diving. I wonder if my circular polarizing filter would help with these types of shots.

First one.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Then the other.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com