Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the past week or so, small sandpipers have been commuting between the marsh and Brackett's Landing. I took these shots of western sandpipers Thursday (8/31) afternoon.
01.jpg

The birds blended into the dried kelp.
02.jpg

03.jpg

Some of the birds were so close that I got some Rocky-esque shots.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bird swooping over the marsh Saturday afternoon (9/2) scared sandpipers and killdeer into flight. I only got one good shot of the falcon-like bird. I believe it was a merlin, as it is the time of year when I have seen fledglings hunting dragonflies at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The sandpiper parade continues at the marsh. I took these photos early Sunday evening (9/3/17) with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4TC. The usual problems of distance and heat waves were still present, even thought the shots were taken about an hour before sunset. I think these are westerns as our regular visitors have been least and westerns.

Click on an individual photo for a full screen view. The white stuff floating in the water is feathers and down from ducks and geese.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday afternoon (9/4) I photographed a merlin at the marsh. It was dismantling a dragonfly it had captured while being pursued by a purple martin. I photographed merlins at the marsh in 2014 and 2015, but saw none in 2016.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A swallow-tailed gull has been visiting the area for over a week. The gull, a native of the Galapagos Islands, is the only nocturnal gull in the world. This is reportedly only the third recorded sighting of this species in North America. People have been coming to the area from across the US and Canada to view the gull. More information on the gull can be found here:
https://animalcorner.co.uk/animals/galapagos-swallow-tailed-gull/

The gull was seen at the Edmonds marina Thursday morning (9/7), so I went down to take photos with my 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x TC. Since the gull is a nocturnal feeder, it stayed at the spot all day. I returned in the afternoon to take stationary shots with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC (tripod mounted) and flight shots with the 7DII + 100-400L II.

The gull was resting with a flock of Heermann's gull. Its black head helped to find it among the other gulls.
01.jpg

One spotting feature of the gull is its large, red eyes, which I tried to capture in photos.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
About 6:30pm the gull took off and made a short hop to the water.
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

It touched down briefly, then returned to the marina.
09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The gull stayed at the marina for just a minute, then flew back to the water.
16.jpg

17.jpg

It began dipping into the water, which looked like it was bathing, drinking, or feeding.
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some nice shots there, Bill, especially the BIFs... glad you got to see this super-rare specimen!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (9/8) my son Daren and I went back down to the marina to photograph the swallow-tailed gull. It moved to a location on the breakwater visible from the marina walkway at Anthony's Restaurant & Beach Cafe.

I started out taking some photos with the 7DII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x TC mounted on a tripod.
01.jpg

02.jpg

I then swapped the 1.4x TC for a 2x TC. While the 2X TC got me closer, it also softened the photos to the extent that I could not make any close crops.
03.jpg

Here are more wing shots for Jerome. Click on the photos and you can see the softening, even though the focal point was spot on.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The gull is drawing birders from across the US and Canada. The miracles of cyber space and social media allow up-to-the minute updates on the bird's location. It was last reported at Pt. Wells as I type. This is good, as the fishing pier will be partially closed Saturday for cleaning.
10.jpg

Katy, the official mascot of the Puget Sound Bird Fest, was trying to talk the gull into staying for Bird Fest, which is next weekend. http://pugetsoundbirdfest.com/
06.jpg

A few forum members were on hand to photograph the gull. Can you spot them?
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The swallow-tailed gull was not the only avian attraction at the waterfront Friday afternoon.

Close-up of Katy the Kingfisher.
01.jpg

A second female kingfisher was perched on the marina side of metal breakwater at the marina entrance.
02.jpg

A flock of western sandpipers along with a lone sanderling was at Brackett's Landing. The sanderling (left) really stood out due to its size.
03.jpg

SIF (shorebirds in flight) shots.
04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Earlier that morning I had photographed some birds from my back deck.

Male flicker on the roof of my shed. It had probably been feeding at the suet feeder.
06.jpg

Black-capped chickadee rejecting a seed from my bird feeder.
07.jpg

Juncos will probably pick it off the ground.
08.jpg

Red-breasted nuthatch. They bury seeds in the deep crevices of the bark of the four large Doug firs in my backyard.
09.jpg

Steller's jay begging for a peanut. I quit tossing out peanuts for the jays because it drew eastern gray squirrels up to my back deck. Earlier in the week at the marsh I talked to a couple from Minnesota who were in Edmonds for their daughter's wedding. They were hoping to see a Steller's jay as there aren't any in the Midwest.
10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Long-tailed weasels reside at Brackett's Landing. I got a decent shot of one a few years ago, but all I got Sunday (9/10) was a shot of its signature tail.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday (9/11) bird photos.

A flicker at the feeder.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I usually don't get hummer activity at my house during the summer, but Monday morning two were chasing each other around the backyard.
IMG_0003.jpg

One stopped to refuel. It looks like a female.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went down to the marsh shortly before sunset.

Long-billed dowitcher, probably the same one that has been spotted the past few days. I had to shoot through the cattails and rushes using -1 exposure compensation due to the horizontal light from the nearly setting sun.
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The autumn recrudescence may be causing this heron to gather nesting material.
IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Here is a little bit about autumn recrudescence by Christine Elder, who will at Bird Fest this weekend.
https://christineelder.com/autumnal-recrudescence/

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com