Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday evening (9/13) I set up on Sunset Ave. to photograph the sunset. Shortly after sunset, a large mass of birds took off from the Shell Creek spit. Most appeared to be gulls. One flock of birds; however, did not look or fly like gulls or Caspian terns. The birds flew very fast in a tight formation low to the water. They looked and flew like sandpipers, but they were much, much larger than the least and western sandpipers we have been seeing recently at Brackett's Landing.

Since I was there to photograph the sunset, I did not have my 500L telephoto lens and 1.4x TC set up. I hope someone can take a stab at identifying the birds by their silhouette and flight pattern from these shots I took with the 100-400mm telephoto zoom.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be plovers of some sort... definitely not gulls or terns.. they don't fly in tight groups like that.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be plovers of some sort... definitely not gulls or terns.. they don't fly in tight groups like that.

I got five replies from people on Tweeters: four votes for black-bellied plovers and one vote for terns or small gulls. I'm amazed anyone can ID the birds from those shots.

I returned last night with the 500L + 1.4x TC hoping for a repeat performance, but no such luck. :(

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went out to the fishing pier Friday afternoon (9/15) to get in a final photo shoot before Bird Fest. A great blue heron was snagging fish from the marina breakwater opposite the pier.
01.jpg

What would cause the heron to suddenly fly away from the dinner table in a huff?
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The answer lies in the lower right corner of the photo.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two river otters were swimming north along the breakwater. Gulls perched on the breakwater also left amid much noise.
06.jpg

07.jpg

The otter's muscular tail.
08.jpg

The otters disappeared into a passage at the northwest corner of the breakwater......
09.jpg

and emerged on top of the breakwater.
10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both otters swam out off Olympic Beach between the breakwater and the ferry dock.
11.jpg

But only one returned with a fish.
12.jpg

The otters swam along the metal breakwater below the walkway out to the fishing pier.....
13.jpg

then climbed out on the rocks of the breakwater.
14.jpg

15.jpg

The otters did not stay long, but swam around the corner of the breakwater and headed south back along the same route where I first started photographing them.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Catching up on photos from Bird Fest weekend.

Friday morning, 9/15.
Closeups of the juvie Cooper's hawk that appeared in the King 5 Evening Magazine video.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Later that afternoon from the fishing pier. A female kingfisher flew to the spot where the otters had been a few minutes earlier.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (9/19/19) I ran into my friend and fellow bird watcher Bev at the marsh. While we were at the #2 viewing platform, I spotted what I hope turns out to be a resident juvie Cooper's hawk hunting in the reeds and cattails.
01.jpg

It perched on one of the swallow boxes for several minutes before flying south across the marsh to a dead tree next to Willow Creek.
02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bev left and I walked on the boardwalk toward the #1 viewing platform while looking out over the marsh for the long-billed dowitcher that I have photographed over the past week. As I approached the #1 platform, the hawk flew by me. I would have gotten some great photos of it perched on the platform had I followed by own bird photography advice and paid attention to what was in front of me.

Instead I had to settle for these butt shots of it flying past the #2 platform.
06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hawk perched on the old martin gourd stand after I set up the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC on the tripod.
11.jpg

It took off just as I knocked the shutter speed down to 1/250 for some low ISO shots while it was relatively motionless. If blur suggests motion, this hawk was going supersonic.
12.jpg

13.jpg

It landed on a low-lying branch of a tree beside the #3 platform.
14.jpg

I returned to the #2 platform in time to see the hawk fly past me heading north through Harbor Square towards Dayton St. I hope it decides to spend fall and winter in the area around the marsh.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two backyard birds from the last day of summer (Thursday 9/21).

A female pileated woodpecker was working a branch of one of my fir trees. You can see her tongue in some of the photos. I live a block north of Pine Ridge Park, home to a breeding pair that had babies this year.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Steller's jays have developed a fondness for something in my mixed seed bird feeder and are stopping there quite frequently. In the past they only showed up at my back deck to beg for peanuts.

IMG_0005.jpg

I missed a shot earlier in the week of a hairy woodpecker at my suet feeder. I also missed a shot last week of a Cooper's in my back yard. My wife found the dried out remains of an eastern gray squirrel in the same area. I wonder if the Cooper's is the same juvie that I photographed earlier this summer preying on a flicker on the sidewalk across the street.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The juvie Cooper's hawk continues to make appearances at the marsh.
IMG_0001.jpg

It took off and flew right past me as I was photographing it.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I have been ID-ing this hawk as a Cooper's. If anyone thinks it is the Cooper's look-alike cousin the sharp-shinned, please speak up.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Winter migrant ducks are arriving at the marsh where American wigeons, gadwalls, and northern shovelers are joining the resident mallards.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Two of us noticed this mystery duck with its long, slim, blue-gray bill. Northern pintail?
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

The long-billed dowitcher continues to hang out at the marsh, but I have not gotten any better photos than the ones I posted up on 9-12.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daren and I went to the fishing pier Friday afternoon (9/22/17), which was the autumn equinox. Two birders on the pier pointed out a parasitic Jaeger that was flying north towards the underwater dive park beyond the ferry dock. Parasitic Jaegers usually only appear in the Sound off Edmonds in September and it is only the second time I have ever seen one.

IMG_0001.jpg

We relocated to Sunset Ave. where we saw the Jaeger harassing Bonaparte's gulls.

IMG_0002.jpg

The Jaeger followed one gull continually. I don't know why, as the gull did not have a fish in its bill.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com