Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2017

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

There is an old saying, "Make hay while the sun shines." Here in the Puget Sound region, we have to "Get out and take photos while the sun shines" for much of the year. Saturday (12-23) was one of those days.

The young male hummer continues to visit the feeders on my back deck. This year I have not seen much of Dexter, the mature male that staked out my back yard as his territory for the past few years.

IMG_0001.jpg

We have been photographing a juvie Cooper's hawk at the marsh since August. I suspect it is an offspring of the pair that has been nesting for a few years in City Park across Sunset Ave./Hwy 104 from the marsh. Saturday afternoon it was standing under one of the trees at the marsh that is adjacent to the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. I only spotted it was because it was in the area where I look for Virginia rails.

IMG_0002.jpg

I wondered why it was standing there as it remained motionless for several minutes.

IMG_0003.jpg

I realized it had captured a good-sized bird after it began to eat it. Eventually a group of people walked by and scared the hawk. It took off with its prey in tow followed by a pack of crows. I was shooting with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom @ 1/1000, f/5.6. If you view the photo full size, you will see that the hawk flew out of the focal plane but the prey remained in focus. From the orange feet, it looked as though the hawk had nabbed a pigeon. The young hawk will have plenty of food this winter if it can successfully hunt pigeons.

IMG_0004.jpg

My nemesis, the ruby crown kinglets, have returned for the winter. One was taunting me from a tree by the #4 viewing platform.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
We had a rare white Christmas in Edmonds. My son and I made the usual rounds hoping to get shots of birds in the snow, but very few were out. Two varied thrushes flew in front of my pickup as we were leaving Yost Park. I parked and got some shots of one in a tree, which reminded me of that line from the carol The Twelve Days of Christmas.

The thrush was back lit, which presented various exposure problems. Here are three shots that I had to tweak in post processing. The photos are slightly over exposed, but I think it gives them an artsy/surreal/ethereal look.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I closed out 2017 with a trip to the marsh the afternoon of New Year's eve.

Whenever I see the resident herons looking up like this, I look for an incoming eagle.
IMG_0001.jpg

The herons saw the eagle, but I did not see it until I returned home and put this photo on the computer.
IMG_0002.jpg

Crop for the eagle.
IMG_0003.jpg

The herons also react to one of their own flying in too close.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :cool:

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back