Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday evening (9-1-18) at the marsh near sunset.

This summer a few great herons have been hanging out in the trees by the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. It is the first time I have seen this behavior. I wonder if they will try to establish a rookery here next spring to replace the one that used to be at the southeast corner of the marsh.

01.jpg

The juvie Cooper's hawk continues to hunt in the marsh. It uses man made structures to scout the area for prey.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Labor Day weekend is when I start looking for our winter avian residents to arrive. I caught groups of cormorants flying in different directions off Sunset Ave.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

A small group of bushtits was at the marsh. I was lucky to get a photo of one.

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The weather is turning autumn-like and ducks have been flying south over Puget Sound.

01.jpg

Many are landing at the marsh during the evening's high tide, such as Monday night (9-10-18).
So far I have only seen mallards, but the winter visitors will be arriving soon.

02.jpg

Some of the males have been molting and are very raggedy looking.

03.jpg

Others still look like real male mallards.

04.jpg

Canada geese are enjoying the high water as well. This may be the local flock that resides in Edmonds year round.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The attractive Herrmann's gulls will start migrating south in October.

01.jpg

September is the time to look for parasitic jaegers around the dive park in Edmonds. I thought I saw one Monday (9-10-18) afternoon, but it just turned out to be a gull chasing a Herrmann's gull.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday afternoon (9-15-18) I made a quick stop at the marsh during Bird Fest and noticed a lone great blue heron bedded down

01.jpg

I returned Sunday to see the heron in the same spot. I used my super telephoto setup to get some closeups.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Another heron posed for me at the marina near sunset.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com