Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Definitely improved, Bill. Amazing shots, particularly given the lighting conditions and extreme ISOs. I'm in awe of your in-flight photography skills!

Terry

Definitely improved, Bill. Amazing shots, particularly given the lighting conditions and extreme ISOs. I'm in awe of your in-flight photography skills!

Terry

The trick to photographing take-offs is anticipation. I look for subtle clues that the bird may be taking off, then start shooting away. Many shots are wasted, but now and then I get a good one.

I agree! But, since I shoot in RAW rapid fire shots quickly use up the buffer in my 5Diii. Once that's full, shooting stops whether I like it or not! The solution may be to shoot only in .jpg....or maybe buy a 1Dx?

Terry

Wednesday afternoon (3-14-18) four birds were swimming in the marina under the walkway out to the fishing pier. They were so close that you could probably have taken photos with a cell phone, but I preferred the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC. Shots were difficult as I was facing the sun and glare off the water.

Pied-billed grebe. I hope it was not injured as one leg was tucked up behind its wing instead of hanging down in the water like the other leg.

01.jpg

The star-shaped reflections of the sun looked "artsy."

02.jpg

This zombie-eyed horned grebe was starting the transition to breeding plumage.

03.jpg

This one was farther along the process.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
The fourth bird was a female goldeneye which was diving for small crabs. I neglected to use negative exposure compensation and the shots were overexposed due to the low sun reflecting off the feathers. This is the best of the photos I tweaked using the Windows photo processing program.

06.jpg

Outside the marina, a pelagic cormorant was eating a small fish. Once again I was relegated to taking "artsy" shots looking into the sun.

07.jpg

A cormorant later entertained me by attempting to down a partially dismantled crab.

08.jpg

To my surprise, it eventually swallowed the entire piece, which was very large. It may have been "inspired" to hurry up and finish the job by a second cormorant swimming over to "help out."

09.jpg

10.jpg

Info on our local pelagic cormorants can be found here: http://myedmondsnews.com/2018/03/bird-lore-pelagic-cormorant/

Last edited:
I will help lead a late afternoon tour of the marsh on World Water Day, 3-22-18. Details are here: http://myedmondsnews.com/2018/03/guided-tour-of-edmonds-marsh-on-world-water-day-march-22/

I hope the marsh birds will cooperate and provide some avian action like this black-capped chickadee did Thursday afternoon (3-15-18), about the same time as the up-coming tour.

IMG_0001.jpg

The casual observer may think the chickadee is trying to pluck out cattail fuzz to line a new burrow.

IMG_0002.jpg

The chickadee and other small birds at the marsh, such as song sparrows, bushtits, and red-winged black birds, are actually digging for larvae burrowed inside the cattail head. The bird gets food and the cattail gets its seeds dispersed.
Winner, winner, larvae dinner.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Catching up. St. Patrick's Day (Saturday, 3-17-18) at the marina.

Two red-breasted mergansers were off the north end of the marina.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Look closely and you can see this one underwater as it dives.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I finally got a good shot of the pied-billed grebe inside the marina.

IMG_0005.jpg

Reminder: World Water Day Marsh Tour today (Thursday 3/22) from 6-7:00pm.
http://myedmondsnews.com/2018/03/guided-tour-of-edmonds-marsh-on-world-water-day-march-22/

It is raining as I type, which seems appropriate for World Water Day. :cool:

The second day of spring (3-21-18) brings more March Marsh Madness.

Chickadees are cavity nesters, so look for them digging out burrows in the old alderwood trees along the marsh walkway east of the #2 viewing platform.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Wesley needs to refuel after chasing off interlopers.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I notice a significant drop-off in activity at my home hummer feeders once the flowers are in bloom.

Last edited:
We are entering the final week of March Marsh Madness and the birds are rising to the occasion. Saturday (3-24-18) several were putting on a show around the #2 viewing platform.

A pair of bushtits looked as though they may be building a nest near the boardwalk. One was taking a break in the spot where I usually photograph Wesley.

01.jpg

A song sparrow posed for publicity shots. Here is the one it probably did not want posted.

02.jpg

A pair of spotted towhees have been hanging out on the ground around the viewing platform and walkway.

03.jpg

A marsh wren made several deliveries of cattail fuzz to a nest under construction.

04.jpg

The tidal gate was opened Marsh 1st, causing the water level in the marsh to rise and fall with the tide. A pair of green-winged teals were in the waterway off the #1 viewing platform. I have not seen any Eurasian green-winged teals this year.

05.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:
Continued from previous page.

A grand show was put on by a male red-winged blackbird which has claimed the area of cattails around the #2 viewing platform.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Shortly before sunset Sunday (3-25-18) evening, a crow and a red-winged blackbird shared the old martin gourd stand at the marsh. Slow shutter speeds and high ISO settings reflect the fading light. These uncropped images were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter. I had to move the tripod back a bit to squeeze both birds into the photo.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The crow appeared to mimic the blackbird as it "cawled out" to its buddies.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Once the blackbirds have hatchlings, they will aggressively engage any crow that invades their air space.

Last edited:
March Marsh Madness may be winding down, but surprises still abound. Tuesday afternoon (3/27/18) I saw my first of the year Wilson's snipe.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Wesley posed on a cattail so close to the #2 viewing platform that I used my 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom even though the tripod with my super telephoto setup was standing next to me.

001.jpg

002.jpg

The white streaks are rain drops. Look closely and you can see some droplets on Wesley's head.

003.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday morning (3-28-18) I found the lone cackling goose still hanging out at Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood. Although it resembles the larger Canada goose, it small size becomes apparent in these photos of it around mallard ducks and a crow.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Thursday afternoon (3-29-18) two sea lions were frolicking off Sunset Ave.

IMG_0001.jpg

I caught one jumping out of the water.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

There was not enough time to set up the super telephoto setup before the sea lions swam south.

IMG_0005.jpg

My first post to the new & improved website. Hang on!!!

Friday afternoon (3-30-18) I thought I was photographing Fenimore, the Edmonds marsh resident juvie Cooper's hawk, circling overhead.
Examination of my photos on the computer at home revealed the bird to be an adult Cooper's hawk. Perhaps it is one of Fenimore's parents that have been nesting the past few years at City Park, located east of the marsh across Sunset Ave./Hwy. 104.

Some grab shots with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Switched to the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter which was mounted on the tripod standing next to me.

03.jpg
04.jpg

Last edited:
More bird photos from Friday afternoon at the marsh.

Marsh wren off the #1 viewing platform.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

Male green-winged teal.
IMG_0003.jpg

Wesley has taken to perching on cattails off the #2 viewing platform.

IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

This year's March Marsh Madness closed with a grand finale Saturday evening (3-31-18).

The male red-winged blackbird that has staked out the stand of cattails around the #2 viewing platform put on quite a show.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

He did not seem pleased, however, when the relatives arrived.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Last year a marsh wren built four nests in the rushes off the #1 viewing platform. One was gathering cattail fuzz for a new nest in the same area during the fading light of March Marsh Madness 2018.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back