Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

It has been quite a week at the Edmonds marsh.
Monday: Wilson's phalaropes
Tuesday: Playful coyote.
Friday: Blue-winged teals
Saturday: White pelicans.

Yes, Saturday afternoon (5-19-18) a flock of white pelicans flew over Edmonds while I was at the marsh. From a distance they looked like a flock of snow geese until viewed through a telephoto lens.

View attachment 30217

View attachment 30218

They flew over town heading north.
View attachment 30219

View attachment 30220
Pelicans sure are graceful flyers.

I loved watching the pelicans dive in the surf off Moss Landing when I was attending DLI in Monterrey. I referred to them as the Moss Landing Air Force. They are probably the closest thing to a pterodactyl any of us will see.

A male Anna's hummingbird has been hanging out at the same places at the marsh for the past 3-4 years. I have seen as many as four of them chasing each other. For all I know I may have been photographing a number of different, individual birds; but I call them all "Wesley."

Thursday afternoon (5-31-18) I found an osprey perched in the tree at the top pf Pine St. that is usually reserved for the Pt. Edwards eagles. The pair currently has at least one eaglet to attend to, so perhaps they are letting the osprey hold their places until they are empty nesters once again.

The osprey was eating a fish and occasionally visited by crows angling for a free lunch.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

It spent considerable time grooming after consuming the fish. Oops, no head.

03.jpg

05.jpg

Your observations are amazing, Bill! I never imaged that an osprey would dare occupy the 'family tree'!

Terry

Thanks. Osprey have several features, including their feet, that are specially adapted for catching fish.
From Wikipedia:
  • reversible outer toes
  • sharp spicules on the underside of the toes
  • closable nostrils to keep out water during dives
  • backwards-facing scales on the talons which act as barbs to help hold its catch.
  • dense plumage which is oily and prevents its feathers from getting waterlogged
Full article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey

Monday evening (6-4-18) some evil minions of the Dark Lord were taking a break from terrorizing the occupants of planet Earth.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Cleaning its bill and face.
03.jpg

It got bored with my presence and yawned.
04.jpg

A marsh wren showed signs of digging through cattail heads for fuzz to build a nest.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Wesley always enjoys posing for the tourists.

03.jpg

Wesley and a song sparrow endure an uneasy truce.

04.jpg

Last edited:
Not a lot going on at the marsh Tuesday afternoon (6-5-18). The crows flushed Fenimore the juvie Cooper's hawk out of a tree, but all I got were butt shots of him flying across the marsh. I practiced my herons in flight shots on one of two that flew in from the marina.

IMG_0001_1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Many birds nest in the trees and bushes bordering the marsh. Eggs have hatched and fledglings are showing up. Here are a few I have seen this week.

Monday afternoon (6-11-18) three crow fledglings were hanging out at the #2 (main) viewing platform.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Young crows have blue eyes for a period of time.
04.jpg

One was begging for food on the former martin gourd hanger.

05.jpg

Wednesday afternoon (6-12-18) two chickadee fledglings were on the boardwalk rail. They may be offspring of the pair that nested in the #1 swallow box.

I don't think this is food. They will learn what to eat and what not to.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

One took a misstep.

IMG_0002.jpg

You're on your own.

IMG_0004.jpg

It was able to catch itself and fly off.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Adult red-winged blackbirds and their fledglings are showing up.

01.jpg

02.jpg

This one went to great heights to beg for a meal.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

A pair of robins has been making food deliveries to hatchlings in a nest located in the foliage beside the boardwalk. Salmonberries are often on the menu.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I suspected the robins were getting the berries from the bushes below the #3 viewing platform.

04.jpg

One of the robins arrived at the bushes and rested before picking a berry.

05.jpg

Some photos from an overcast and sometimes rainy Wednesday afternoon (6-13-18).

Goslings of different ages from several families were gathered together at Mini Park in Lynnwood.

01.jpg

A spotted towhee singing up a storm at the marsh. Twice I saw it chase one of the robins that was making a food run to a nearby nest.

02.jpg

These two had also been chasing each other.

03.jpg

Two chickadees were checking the cattail heads for larvae to eat.

04.jpg

05.jpg

The main action at the marsh is the violet-green swallows flying in and out of the swallow box off the #2 (main) viewing platform. Some sequences from Friday (6-15-18).

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back