Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A new year means a new thread. The afternoon of New Year's day I took the 7DII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter + tripod out to the fishing pier. Surf scoters were looking for mussels embedded in the barnacles attached to the pier supports.
01.jpg

I need not have bothered lugging around the super telephoto setup as the birds were close enough to photograph with the handheld 1Dx + 100-400L telephoto zoom.
02.jpg

Immature male surf scoter
03.jpg

Female goldeneye
04.jpg

Double-crested cormorant.
05.jpg

Here is a link to photos from 2017.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?14796-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2017

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A small flock of Brant were below Sunset Ave. Thursday afternoon (1-4-18). I don't know if this is a late group headed south or an early group headed north.
01.jpg

02.jpg

A black scoter was off Sunset Ave. as well. I always see them here and not around the fishing pier like their cousins the surf scoters.
03.jpg

Two male northern shovelers were in the large pond at Pine Ridge Park. One was swimming around in circles, typical of shovelers. One theory is that this creates a vortex which brings up food from the bottom.
04.jpg

Preening.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday afternoon (1-10-18) offered up a dark, but dry respite from the rain. I made a quick trip to the marsh while my son was working out at the gym.

The marsh in winter "plumage".
01.jpg

I call this Killdeer Island due to all the killdeer on it.
02.jpg

Set up the 7DII + 500L+ 1.4x teleconverter for closeups of the killdeer hunkered down on the island.
03.jpg

A few were walking on the mud at the east end of the island.
04.jpg

A pair of green-winged teals swam past the island.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of interesting birds Thursday afternoon (1-11-18), starting with a loon below the fishing pier.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I wish it were an exotic Arctic loon (abundance of white lower body feathers).....
IMG_0003.jpg

but I'm sure its just the more prosaic Pacific loon (black "chin strap").
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
High tides on Puget Sound and high water at the marsh forced the herons to hang out closer together than usual.
IMG_0001.jpg

Close ups with the 7DII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter.
IMG_0001_1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

One flew south over trees that line Willow Creek and landed somewhere on the old UnoCal grounds.
IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (1-12-18) a small flock of Harlequin ducks flew in.....
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

and landed on the tethered log in the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing North.
IMG_0003.jpg

I have not seen many goldeneye this year, but a pair of Barrow's goldeneye were in the Sound below Sunset Ave.

female
IMG_0004.jpg

male
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
MLK Monday (1-15-18) was sunny and fairly warm.

I started at the day at the marsh. Wesley, the resident male Anna's hummer, was busy putting on displays and chasing rivals from the tree behind the #2 viewing platform.
01.jpg

02.jpg

Hunting for bugs near the #1 viewing platform.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Continued from page 1....

We go from the smallest avian resident of the marsh to the largest.
Sleeping?
01.jpg

No, just blinking.
02.jpg

Next stop was Brackett's Landing north, where two Brant were swimming past the end of the jetty.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wesley or one of his buddies brightened up an otherwise rainy, dreary Thursday afternoon (1-18-18) at the marsh. The streaks in the background are raindrops photographed at 1/250 sec.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Terry O

Good shots, Bill. I like the water drops on the twig that the hummer is on - makes the shot interesting,

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice! Glad to ol' Wesley - or his successor, as the case may be - is still holding court at the marsh!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday (1-24-18) shots from Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood.

My quest for the storm wigeon came up empty once again as this is an ordinary wigeon.
IMG_0001.jpg

A small flock of ring-necked ducks was present.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (1-26-18) a friend led me to a secret location where a large flock of dunlin were taking shelter from the wind. All of these photos were taken at f/5.6 with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I should have been shooting these closeups at f/8 for a greater depth of field.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Katy the marina kingfisher was perched on the concrete breakwater directly opposite the walkway out to the fishing pier.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

She decided to fly over to her usual perch on one of the salmon sculptures.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com