Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last Saturday (1-27-18) a flock of Canada geese landed at the marsh while I was out photographing.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

With the right cropping, the marsh looks like it is in the middle of nowhere.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is an old phrase, "That's just ducky." I don't know what it means, but the last day of January was literally "just ducky."

Surf scoters off the fishing pier.
IMG_0004.jpg

This immature male flew a short distance, then landed. Due to the poor light I was shooting at 1/500, which was not enough to freeze the wings and splashing water.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The scoters pick off mussels that are embedded in the barnacles that are attached to the supports of the pier.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was getting very dark by the time I got to Pine Ridge Park, where several species of ducks were in the large pond.

Wood ducks
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Ring-necked duck
IMG_0005.jpg

Green-winged teal
IMG_0006.jpg

Northern shovelers
IMG_0008.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The dunlin were still present at Marina Beach Park Friday afternoon (2-2-18). This time I shot at f/16 to avoid depth of field problems.

One group was hunkered down inside the marina.
01.jpg

While another group was on the beach.
02.jpg

Between the two groups was a baby seal.
03.jpg

An eagle flew overhead......
04.jpg

which put the two groups to flight.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More flight shots. I really must get the sensor cleaned if I am going to shoot with such small aperture settings.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More flight shots. I really must get the sensor cleaned if I am going to shoot with such small aperture settings.

I just found out Tuesday that Kenmore Camera does sensor cleanings. I left the 1Dx there and will start cycling my others cameras through after it is cleaned. The sensor of the 1Dx was dirty from its years of service at the Seattle Times. The sensors of my other cameras need cleaning once every 2-3 years.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (2-8-18) I was going stir crazy, so I went out despite the rain, gloom, and doom.

Herons were leaving the marsh and the adjacent Unocal grounds and headed towards the marina.
IMG_0001.jpg

This one circled the marsh before heading out.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles took no notice of the evacuation.
IMG_0004.jpg

I suspect the herons are trying take advantage of the afternoon low tide to get in some late beach combing before dark, like this one I found at Brackett's Landing North.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

marjie

It always surprises me to see how unattractive herons are up close; they look so beautiful from a distance.

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just found out Tuesday that Kenmore Camera does sensor cleanings. I left the 1Dx there and will start cycling my others cameras through after it is cleaned. The sensor of the 1Dx was dirty from its years of service at the Seattle Times. The sensors of my other cameras need cleaning once every 2-3 years.
When did you get the 1Dx? I take it you got it used? I typically clean my sensors once every 12-18 months, as needed. They're "self-cleaning", so they don't need attention often, but every so often a dust-bunny will sneak in there, and I'll have to break out the cleaner and swabs...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
When did you get the 1Dx? I take it you got it used? I typically clean my sensors once every 12-18 months, as needed. They're "self-cleaning", so they don't need attention often, but every so often a dust-bunny will sneak in there, and I'll have to break out the cleaner and swabs...

I bought it used last year at Kenmore Camera. It was a Seattle Times trade-in and the sensor was probably never cleaned. I could get away with a dirty sensor as long as I was not shooting sky and/or small aperture settings. The numerous black dots that were not birds got really annoying in flight shots at f/16.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday (2-9-18) was a good day for photos of the raptors that hang out at the marsh.

The red-tailed hawk that likes to perch in a tree on the east end of the marsh near the highway also perches in the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

The juvie Cooper's hawk that we have been photographing at the marsh since August perched on the boardwalk rail near the #1 viewing platform. I suspect it is one of last summer's fledglings from City Park.
IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dragged out the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC to photograph the Copper's hawk, but it took off before I could get the tripod set up. I used the super telephoto combo to take shots of other birds at the marsh.

Great blue herons hiding in the grass. I didn't think I was that close to them, but they both took off as I walked down the boardwalk to the #1 viewing platform.
IMG_0001.jpg

A heron and some killdeer.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Green-winged teals in the small waterway off the #1 viewing platform.
IMG_0004.jpg

Ducks (gadwall?) in flight. For a large telephoto lens, the 500L tracks fairly well from the tripod.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Birds from Tuesday (2-13-18).

I caught one of my nemesis birds, a ruby-crowned kinglet, at the Willow Creek fish hatchery.
IMG_0001.jpg

Canada geese leaving the marsh.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

A male belted kingfisher (Don?) sat atop the railroad signal below Sunset Ave.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (2-15-18) at the marsh.

Whenever the sentinels of the marsh start looking up and around like this, I start looking for an incoming eagle.
IMG_0001.jpg

Another heron landed, which spooked the others.
IMG_0002.jpg

They quickly landed and settled down.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

A lone yellow-rumped warbler was flitting about near the outdoor tennis courts.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com