Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (2-16-18) a male Anna's hummingbird kept perching on the twig of a blackberry bramble above the tracks by Sunset Ave. Since all of our local hummers must have names, Casey sounds logical for a hummer that is working on the railroad.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There has been nothing of interest to photograph at the marsh except the resident great blue herons.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

A small flock of Harlequin ducks was resting on the tethered log at the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing North.
04.jpg

This female mallard at the small retention pond in Pine Ridge Park was showing off her blue patch, which was not visible in the other female mallards I saw.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took advantage of Thursday's (2-22-18) sunshine to get out and look for birds. To lead things off, Wesley did some fantastic posing at the marsh.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

The East LA band Los Lobos had a hit song, Kiko and the Lavender Moon. Here is Wesley and the Edmonds Moon.

04.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wesley topped off his performance by landing about 10 feet from us on the hedge next to the boardwalk. He was so close that I had to back off on my telephoto zoom to get him in focus.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to photograph ducks and geese flying past the leafless, winter foliage at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

One of the sentinels of the marsh was moonlighting as a sentinel of the ferry dock.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A small flock of red-breasted mergansers was diving for food adjacent to the jetty at Brackett's Landing North at sunset.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

There were two males in this group. I don't see as many males as I see females.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

This close-up shows the serrations on the bill of a male that look like teeth.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can usually depend on Wesley to put on a show when there is nothing going on at the marsh, as he did on a rainy Saturday afternoon (2-24-18).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a backlog of photos to post, but I wanted to get these up for the birders in the audience.

Wednesday (2-28-18) I saw a cackling goose at Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood. I wonder if it was the same goose I photographed at this location on 9-27-17.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?14796-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2017/page23

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The cackling goose is about 1/3 the size of a Canada goose and has a very short bill.

IMG_0003.jpg

Comparing the smaller cackling goose with a larger Canada goose. The cackler's bill looks as though it has been pruned.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Terry O

Nice to see the comparisons, Bill. Hard to image this is the same bird you saw last season - but who knows?

Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice to see the comparisons, Bill. Hard to image this is the same bird you saw last season - but who knows?

Terry

I talked to a birder at the marsh today who said she has heard reports of a cackler spending the winter at Sprague Pond.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
February has gone and its now time for March Marsh Madness. Things started off Saturday (3-3-18) with a visiting merlin, which perched on the tallest tree next to the boardwalk. It approached from the marina and stayed a few minutes before continuing east over the Harbor Square complex.

IMG_0002.jpg

I had to wait for photos until the wind blew the branch away from the merlin's head.
IMG_0006.jpg

It may have returned later in the day as I saw that looked like a merlin zip past me as I was talking to someone on the boardwalk. One of our local nature photographers told me that he had seen one earlier this year near the fishing pier.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Later that afternoon three of us saw the resident juvie Cooper's (?) hawk perched on the swallow box west of the #1 viewing platform.
01.jpg

After grooming itself for several minutes, it dived into the foliage east of the platform.
02.jpg

We thought it might have captured a small bird like one of the marsh wrens I had heard calling from that area, but it came up empty-taloned and flew west towards the railroad tracks.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
They turned out to be hooded mergansers.
06.jpg

I photographed the two pairs as they swam together up and back the small, dead-end channel off the #1 viewing platform.

male
07.jpg

08.jpg

female
09.jpg

10.jpg

I have only seen hoodies swim in Willow Creek at the south side of the marsh, never in the waterways at the north side where they can be easily photographed.
Stay tuned for more March Marsh Madness.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you check out the Edmonds Eagles 2018 thread, you will see that the first day of March was an all eagle day for me. I did; however, get photos of some of our winter visitors between eagle shots from the fishing pier.

Female red-breasted merganser. A small flock has been hanging out around Olympic Beach and Brackett's Landing North.
IMG_0001.jpg

Surf scoters are a winter visitor that hang around the fishing pier, where they wait for the tide to drop low enough to expose mussels that are embedded in the barnacles attached to the supports. Although I have lots of photos of surf scoters, they are hard to pass up because they are so photogenic, especially mature males. One must pay particular attention not to over-expose shots of the males on sunny winter days when the sun is coming in at a low angle and reflecting off their white feathers and bills.

Immature male
IMG_0002.jpg

Mature male
IMG_0003.jpg

Female
IMG_0004.jpg

A pelagic cormorant is starting to phase into breeding plumage, which will eventually include long white feathers on its head and neck.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More March Marsh Madness
Although Monday (3-5-18) was overcast and chilly, these conditions made for better photos than the warm sunshine of two days prior.

A great blue caught a rodent(?), not the first time I have witnessed this behavior. The heron flew a short distance with the rodent in its bill, then ate it. The heron was too quick for me to get in position for a good shot.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The heron had a full crop after devouring the rodent.
IMG_0003.jpg

Still to come: the further adventures of Fenimore, the resident juvenile Cooper's hawk.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fenimore, the juvie Cooper's hawk we have been photographing since last August, was busy Saturday making the rounds at the marsh. I first saw him when he flew up out of the grass near the boardwalk and perched on the old martin gourd stand. He was promptly buzzed by two evil minions of the Dark Lord.
01.jpg

Next stop was the swallow box #3, located off the #3 viewing platform. A panoramic view with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
02.jpg

A closer view with the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC. The hawk took off towards the trees that line the marsh along the walkway.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked to no avail for Fenimore on the ground and in the trees along the walkway between the #2 (main) and #3 viewing platforms. I returned to the #2 viewing platform only to find him perched on swallow box #2 opposite the platform.
06.jpg

He stayed for a few minutes, then flew out to the #4 swallow box, which is the next one south of the #3 box.
07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did not stay at swallow box #4 for long before taking off to box #5, the box farthest south and nearest Willow Creek.
09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last stop was the sign at the #1 viewing platform, located at the west end of the boardwalk near the railroad tracks.. Swallow box #1, visible in the background, was the one where I had photographed him Saturday.
12.jpg

13.jpg

From the sign he took off and landed on one of the telephone poles by the railroad tracks, then flew west toward the marina.

Last edited:

Terry O

Amazing what those Herons can 'wolf' down! I like some of the cooper's shots - nice to have it be regular enough to be bestowed with a name!

Terry

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com