Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
March Marsh Madness 3-6-18
I went down to the marsh Tuesday morning while my son was bowling. The sun shining in from the southeast created lighting conditions that differ from my usual afternoon visits. I was told that the tide gate is not raised until March 15th, but the fluctuation of water levels I have seen make it look though it was raised around the first of the month

I did not see Fenimore perched on the #1 viewing platform, but I caught him as he flew out to the #4 swallow box.
IMG_0001.jpg

Back lighting created some artsy effects.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The back lighting continued to create artsy effects as geese flew past.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Two geese flew past Fenimore perched on the swallow box.....

04.jpg

and landed where Shellenbarger Creek flows into the marsh.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A flock of bushtits flew among the bushes, trees and cattails. They are the second smallest bird at the marsh, one size up from a hummer.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of hummers, Wesley put on a good show in the tree above the #2 viewing platform.

Cleaning his bill.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Stretching.

IMG_0004.jpg

Mooning me.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (3-9-18) I photographed some little birds along the walkway between the #3 and #4 viewing platforms at the marsh.

Junco
01.jpg

Golden-crowned sparrow
02.jpg

Bushtit
03.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears that reports of the demise of Katy the Kingfisher, guardian of the marina and official mascot of the Puget Sound Bird Fest, may be premature. Saturday afternoon (3-10-18) I found a female belted kingfisher sitting on one of Katy's favorite perches on a mast opposite the fishing pier.
01.jpg

Is Katy a jailbird?
02.jpg

No, she flew over to the grating of a tidal outlet on the north wall of the marina off the walkway out to the fishing pier.
03.jpg

She stayed a few minutes.
04.jpg

Then took off.
05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Katy flew off and no one could figure out where she went. I knew exactly where she was: perched under the walkway on a spot only visible from the picnic table opposite the ranger shack.
06.jpg

Ignoring the No Trespassing sign and Edmonds city ordinance 5.10.085, she landed atop the chain link fence a few feet from the picnic table.
07.jpg

08.jpg

Then off to the concrete breakwater opposite the walkway out to the fishing pier.
09.jpg

I last saw her as she dove down off the breakwater.
10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pilings off the Senior Center between the marina and ferry dock are a favorite place for cormorants to perch and sun themselves.
01.jpg

It is also a favorite perch of the Pt. Edwards eagles.
02.jpg

03.jpg

Discretion being the better part of valor, the cormorants beat a hasty retreat upon the arrival of the eagle and made due with forming a flotilla near the ferry.
04.jpg

Continued....

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
New arrivals flying in past the fishing pier, unaware of the change in pecking order on the piling, would do a u-turn or land in the water after spotting the eagle. Either way, it gave me the opportunity for some action photos of what I call "dragon birds" due to their scaly looking feathers and the shape of their heads.

Back lighting can be artsy.
05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

My ideal photo of a double-crested cormorant is one that captures their scale-like feathers and blue-green eyes.

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More bird photos from Saturday.

Two evil minions of the Dark Lord plot their conquest of Earth and subjugation of Mankind from a tree in the Olympic Beach parking lot at the waterfront.
01.jpg

A pied-billed grebe transitioning into breeding plumage was inside the marina.
02.jpg

Brant continue to graze on eel grass below Sunset Ave. They commute between here and Marina Beach, which presents opportunities for flight shots off the fishing pier at the marina and the jetty at Brackett's Landing North.
03.jpg

04.jpg

Marsh wrens are getting into the spirit of March Marsh Madness. For now they are staying hidden in the cattails and bull rushes, but later they will be singing from the tops of cattails and fence posts for easier spotting.
05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are now two barred owls in Pine Ridge Park. I ran into several of the photog regulars Sunday afternoon (3-11-18) as we tracked the owls. I only saw one of the pair, but we heard both of them calling to one another.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

The owl had no problems with our presence as it hunted. Someone reported it caught a large rodent after I returned to my pickup.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

No cropping: full frame, wingtip-to-wingtip as the owl zipped past me.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice shots, Bill! I think that's Aurora, as Janine calls her. The other may be her new mate...

Terry O

Great to see the barred owls, Bill! Nice work! What was the ISO? I assume you were using your 7D2
Terry

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice shots, Bill! I think that's Aurora, as Janine calls her. The other may be her new mate...

Both J-nine and G-nine, as I now call them, were in the park photographing the owl when Daren and I arrived. Janine showed me shots that LeRoy, another local photographer, had taken that morning of the two owls preening each other.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great to see the barred owls, Bill! Nice work! What was the ISO? I assume you were using your 7D2
Terry

I was using my "walk & stalk" package of the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto lens, handheld. Settings were 1/500, f/5.6, auto ISO @ 51200. I try to plan ahead and not use the 7DII for what I know will be low light situations.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cooper's vs Sharpie
The Cooper's hawk and the sharp-shinned hawk have very similar appearances. Although the Cooper's is larger than the sharpie, there is a size overlap between a female sharpie and a male Cooper's. The Cornell Institute of Ornithology website has a very good feature for comparing similar looking birds. I was able to get side-by-side photos of a juvie Cooper's and a juvie sharpie by hitting the arrows beside each photo until two photos of juvies appeared side by side. I still think Fenimore is a Cooper's hawk by his appearance and his behavior.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/species-compare/70780511

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday afternoon (3-12-18) I dropped by Pine Ridge Park to look for the owls. They were not in the trees along the main path, so I walked to the large pond/small lake. Several birds were out in the pond including northern shovelers and a solitary pied-billed grebe. I wish I had lugged the 500L telephoto with me.

01.jpg

02.jpg

A pair of ringed-neck ducks swam close by.

03.jpg

04.jpg

The owl was sleeping on a branch on a hillside. I settled for a distant artsy, back-lit shot so as not to wake it.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are four photos of the owl from Sunday that I lightened and tweaked a bit using the Windows photo processing program. You can compare them with the original above and see which ones you prefer.

IMG_0002 (2).jpg

IMG_0003 (2).jpg

IMG_0004 (2).jpg

IMG_0005 (2).jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com