Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2018

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday evening (9-1-18) at the marsh near sunset.

This summer a few great herons have been hanging out in the trees by the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. It is the first time I have seen this behavior. I wonder if they will try to establish a rookery here next spring to replace the one that used to be at the southeast corner of the marsh.

01.jpg

The juvie Cooper's hawk continues to hunt in the marsh. It uses man made structures to scout the area for prey.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Labor Day weekend is when I start looking for our winter avian residents to arrive. I caught groups of cormorants flying in different directions off Sunset Ave.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

A small group of bushtits was at the marsh. I was lucky to get a photo of one.

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The weather is turning autumn-like and ducks have been flying south over Puget Sound.

01.jpg

Many are landing at the marsh during the evening's high tide, such as Monday night (9-10-18).
So far I have only seen mallards, but the winter visitors will be arriving soon.

02.jpg

Some of the males have been molting and are very raggedy looking.

03.jpg

Others still look like real male mallards.

04.jpg

Canada geese are enjoying the high water as well. This may be the local flock that resides in Edmonds year round.

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The attractive Herrmann's gulls will start migrating south in October.

01.jpg

September is the time to look for parasitic jaegers around the dive park in Edmonds. I thought I saw one Monday (9-10-18) afternoon, but it just turned out to be a gull chasing a Herrmann's gull.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saturday afternoon (9-15-18) I made a quick stop at the marsh during Bird Fest and noticed a lone great blue heron bedded down

01.jpg

I returned Sunday to see the heron in the same spot. I used my super telephoto setup to get some closeups.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Another heron posed for me at the marina near sunset.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday I saw my first of the season American wigeons at the marsh. Still looking for the elusive "storm" wigeon.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
My son took photos of a flock of our local Canada geese flying over the marsh. Autumn will arrive Saturday and the marsh is up for the occasion.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last Saturday was the first day of autumn and both the birds and foliage are getting an autumn look. Some shots from Monday (9-24-18).

There is a plant beneath the Pt. Edwards eagle tree with berries the cedar waxwings love to eat.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday afternoon (9/25/18) Wesley or his successor made a cameo appearance at the marsh.

01.jpg

As did a western scrub jay.

02.jpg

03.jpg

I was surprised to see Caspian terns north of Sunset Ave. I thought all of them would have flown south by now.

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Winter residents are starting to fly in, such as double breasted cormorants.....

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

and horned grebes.

10.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been surprised to see osprey and Caspian terns still in the area. These birds spend winter in sunnier and warmer climes. Wednesday afternoon (9-26-18) I caught one of the adults from the Edmonds School District bus barn nest diving for fish at Sprague Pond in Lynnwood.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some birds from Thursday (9-27-18).

A northern flicker on one of two "habitat" trees in my back yard.

IMG_0001.jpg

A black-capped chickadee at the marsh.

IMG_0002.jpg

A few Caspian tern are still in the area. This one was hunting for fish off Sunset Ave.

IMG_0003.jpg

I ran into a friend who was birding Pine Ridge Park while I was there. We saw several male wood ducks at the large pond, but no females. Close up of a male in the shade.

IMG_0004.jpg

We got a quick glimpse of this bird and I got a grab shot. He subsequently ID-ed it as a Swainson's thrush from my photo.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More shots of the wood duck as it swam out into the sunlight. Farther away, but sunnier. The pond dried up this summer for the second year in a row.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday (9-30-18) a female pileated woodpecker was pounding away at one of the habitat trees in my backyard. It probably came from Pine Ridge Park, which is at the end of our court.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

It closed its eyes to avoid large flying chunks of wood.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is easy to overlook the great blue herons as they are year round inhabitants of the marsh, marina, and beaches along the Edmonds waterfront. Tuesday afternoon (10-2-18) I took a series of photos of one landing at the marsh, which had become Lake Edmonds due to a very high tide.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A flock of geese flew up from the pond on the other side of Willow Creek and headed north.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

A few remained.

IMG_0004.jpg

They returned later just after sunset.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (10-4-18) I ran into a local birder at the marsh who spotted a raptor fly up to a tree on the far side of the marsh. A closer examination with her spotting scope showed it to be a member of the falcon family.

IMG_0001.jpg

We later concluded it was a merlin based on its size and behavior. It exhibited the behavior of merlins I have photographed in the past hunting dragonflies in the marsh. The merlin will alternate perching on a high spot with making low, swift swoops over the cattails.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com