Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Terry: thanks for keeping the flame burning while I have been attending to family holiday matters. Those shots of the mergansers are great. As you know, they have not been as frequent of visitors this winter as in years past. Were all those shots from the pier taken with your 7D + 500L + 1.4 teleconverter?

Regarding the dial on your 7D getting turned: there have been many times after many ruined shots that I have been tempted to ship mine back to Canon and pay the $100+ to get the "safety button" installed like the one which came from the factory on my 5DIII.

Last edited:

Terry O

Thanks Bill. The only shots from the pier were the Auklet shots and they were taken with the 500 w/o the 1.4x. All the others were from the shoreline/beach and mostly with the 500.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday (12/29) was the Seahawks' final regular season game with playoff home field advantage on the line. That and the dismal weather kept my avian photographic efforts from getting no farther than my backyard. I deleted most of my shots as poor light + high ISO settings did not result in many keepers. Here are a few I did keep.

This Steller's jay was smart enough to swoop in and scoop up the peanut I tossed on the ground before the crows or squirrels could get it.
01.JPG

Dexter, my backyard Anna's hummer.
02.JPG

Chestnut-backed chickadee (l) and Bewick's wren (r) share one of my bird feeders.
03.JPG

Male northern flicker (red-shafted variety).
04.JPG

Bewick's wren on my backyard shed. They make a distinctive buzzing sound.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Red-breasted nuthatch. They also have a distinctive call.
06.JPG

Dark-eyed junco (Oregon variety), which has replaced the house finch as the most prevalent species at my feeder this fall and winter.
07.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

Pretty darn good for staying at home, Bill. Those Steller's Jays certainly are wonderful shades of dark blue!

Terry O

I haven't seen a pure Yellow-shafted, but I have seen and photographed hybrids between the red-shafted and yellow-shafted.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some birds from Monday at Marina Beach which were not eagles.

White-crowned sparrow.
01.JPG

Female red-breasted merganser.
02.JPG

Two evil minions of the Dark Lord watching me. I immediately checked my pocket for my wallet.
03.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last visit of the year to the marsh (12/31).

Wesley's grande finale for 2013.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Concluded on next page.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not seen many house finches this year, but there was a small flock between the #3 and #4 viewing platforms. They had been on the grass by the tennis courts, then flew into the trees as I approached.
06.JPG

A red-tailed hawk was at one of its usual hang-outs on the far southeast corner of the marsh.
07.JPG

A juvie bald eagle flew northeast over town. I wonder if it is one of the 2013 Pt. Edwards two juvies.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for viewing this thread. It has gotten over 33,000 hits since I started it on 1-28-13. I will start a new one for 2014.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com