Windmill

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

HoedadKid

Every time I take a walkabout in my neighborhood, I find something new to shoot. Tonight my quarry was this front-yard windmill at one of my neighbor's places.:)

Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro at f32, ISO 100, 1/5"
View attachment 5990

Thanks, dood. The second I got this comp set up, the wind stopped...LOL. I had to park it on the curb for another 10 until it picked back up again. Good thing, though. The color was much better even 10 min. closer to the eve.

Thanks, Janice. Truth be told, I initially wanted to dial this shot in for a 1" exposure. But after playing around a bit, I finally found that 1/5 at f32 was the magic combo. The color in the sky popped out and it was still slow enough to capture the movement I wanted. 1/5 actually made the blades a little more defined, which It turns out that I'm very happy with.

Thanks for the nice comment :)

Nice motion and color. Almost all windmill photos I have seen just sit there without motion. Very nice indeed.

Thanks, Judy. This is definitely more like a weather vane, but windmill sounded more dramatic in my title. I'm glad you like the motion. It took a little time to get it all the way I wanted it, but I'm glad I was patient.

Thanks, Janice. Truth be told, I initially wanted to dial this shot in for a 1" exposure. But after playing around a bit, I finally found that 1/5 at f32 was the magic combo. The color in the sky popped out and it was still slow enough to capture the movement I wanted. 1/5 actually made the blades a little more defined, which It turns out that I'm very happy with.

Thanks for the nice comment :)

I think you hit it perfectly.

I think you hit it perfectly.

Awesome! Thanks, Janice. I'm finally having a little more success in the field these days. When before it was a struggle to match the vision in my head with what my camera was doing, it seems to come a lot quicker and a little bit more naturally every day. Thus, more opportunities seized and less great light wasted...
love the shot! well done

Thanks, Chito.

I am pretty happy with it. I think it's my best photo of the week, for sure :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back