Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
We relocated to Yost Park in search of the barred owls. Two pileated woodpeckers were putting on a good show high above us.

Male. Note the red below the bill.
02.JPG

Artistic shot taken on the shady side of the tree with sunshine highlights of the bird.
03.JPG

Female. No red below the bill.
01.JPG

We found the barred owl hidden in the branches of the same tree as the day before. That is where I would expect to find it, as opposed to being out in the open in the sunlight like the previous day.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Friday (3/14).

I have seen a female Anna's hummingbird during my last two trips to the #4 viewing platform of the marsh. Today she some fuzz in her bill, so I assume she is building a nest nearby.
01.JPG

A pair of yellow-rumped warblers have been frequenting the trees along the marsh walkway between the #2 and #4 viewing platforms.
02.JPG

We found the Yost Park barred owl pair fairly easily. They were calling to each other and flew among several different perches within a small area.

Female?
03.JPG

Male?
04.JPG

I have read that barred owls will use old crow nests. This one was near where I photographed the owls, so I'll keep an eye on it.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Terry O

Exciting to find both owls, Bill. That nest does look promising! Great shots of the yellow-rump and hummer too!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GHOs in my neighborhood used to use an old crows nest. They have since abandoned it and are seemingly nowhere to be found.

I saw mating barred owls last night. No photos but a whole lot of hootin' goin' on. :)

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It rained all day Sunday (3/16) and was too dark to expect to take any good bird photos. I drove down to Sunset Ave. to work the Sunday NY Times crossword puzzle between passing trains.

One of the local juvenile bald eagles made a circle over the dive park and landed on the rocks behind the railroad tracks. The tide was in, so no one was going to walk up the beach and bother it. Three times the eagle took off, circled the area of the dive park, and landed just out of sight on the rocks.
01.JPG

I got some great flight photos as it would fly at or below eye level.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eagle shots continued. The juvie's head is still relatively dark, so it may be one of the local 2013 hatchlings. In some of my shots (not posted here), it looks as though the eagle is staring at me and taking in my features for future reference. :eek:
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

The female belted kingfisher was on one of her usual perches at the marina. The rain did not seem to bother her.
10.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great series Bill! The first photo of the second set has details I have rarely seen. What an incredible wing span!

Such is life in the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle. Just when you think it is going to be another dark, gloomy, and boring PNW day; some spectacular avian activity occurs with no advanced notice.

I was in the right place at the right time, but as Robert Shaw said in The Music Man, "You gotta know the territory." ;)

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a trio of eagles up on Pt. Edwards on St. Patricks Day.

What appeared to be a sub adult was sitting on the tall spar.
01.JPG

A full adult circled over it and flew south.
02.JPG

03.JPG

A juvie flew by the spar as it headed northeast.
04.JPG

05.JPG

The three were satisfied with watching each other pass by with no attendant screeching.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday (3/18) morning a juvie in Zorro mask stage was perched on the tree just off the corner of Edmonds St. and Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

The juvie watched an adult which was circling high over downtown Edmonds.
02.JPG

03.JPG

It took off and made a low soutern loop over the marina and the Unocal grounds. I lost sight as it approached City Park.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Later that afternoon a sub adult was perched in one of the tall trees on the fish hatchery grounds at the bottom of Pine Street.

Can you spot the eagle in this 140mm uncropped telephoto shot from the Pt.Edwards walkway?
06.JPG

Shot taken from the top of the fish hatchery driveway: 560mm and cropped.
07.JPG

2014 local eagle count
Pt. Wells pair (2)
Pt. Edwards pair (2)
Hutt Park pair (2)
Lake Ballinger pair (2)
unattached mature adult (1)
sub adult (1)
juvies (2-3)

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com