Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

On the first day of Spring (Thursday, 3/20) I photographed a horned grebe in its first stage of mating plumage swimming in the Edmonds marina. Our window for photographing these grebes in breeding plumage is very tight as they will soon fly off to their inland nesting grounds, which according to my Sibley's is primarily in Canada.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

As often happens, we both have a similar set of shots, Bill. Hope we can catch a few when they are in full breeding plumage.

From Tuesday (3/25). I met Terry at the eagles' nest. One of the eagles flew in shorty after our arrival.
01.JPG

02.JPG

There was a relatively large, white object in the nest, which Terry thought might be the carcass of a bird. The eagle poked at it.
03.JPG

04.JPG

The eagle retreated to a far corner of the nest. You can barely see it on the left side of the nest. The nest is large enough that an eagle hunkered down on eggs would not be visible.
05.JPG

5DIII + 1.4x teleconverter + 100-400L telephoto zoom, handheld

Last edited:
Terry had to leave before I could set up the used 500L telephoto lens I bought last weekend. I experimented with a few combinations, all taken from a tripod. These shots are all cropped to some extent. The 35mm equivalent figures are from Picasa, which are a bit lower than what you would calculate using the crop factor of the 7D and the teleconverters. Unfortunately the eagle had either slipped out while I was setting up the equipment or was hunkered down in the back of the nest.

7D + 500L, 35mm = 782mm
01.JPG

7D + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter, 35mm = 1,094mm
02.JPG

7D + 500L + 2x teleconverter (manual focus), 35mm = 1,563mm
This shot shows details of the white object, which looks like the carcass of a bird.
03.JPG

5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter, 35mm = 544mm, handheld
04.JPG

I only had the equipment set up for a few minutes before it started to rain, so I packed up and moved on.

Last edited:
The quality of the 500 with the 2x converter looks good, Bill. With the 7D that would be a reach of about 1600mm....that ought to be enough!

Wonder if that is a snow goose or someone's prize chicken??

A variety of birds from an overcast and rainy Wednesday (3/26).

Zombie-eyed horned grebe off the fishing pier.
01.JPG

Bonaparte's gull off the fishing pier.
02.JPG

Green-winged teal at the marsh. I don't know how much longer they will be hanging around town.
03.JPG

An evil minion of the Dark Lord eating a small bird at the marsh. Crows are carnivores. I have seen them hunting snakes and mice.
04.JPG

Last edited:
Moving on to the fish hatchery, where a male northern flicker was digging a burrow in a tree on the other side of Willow Creek. My son Daren packed Terry's 500L down to the creek so Terry could take some close-up shots of the bird. I hope this shames Terry into posting up some of his shots.
06.JPG

The red "mustache" + red "V" on the back of its neck identifies the bird as a red/yellow shafted hybrid. In past years I have photographed a similar male hybrid at Pt. Edwards and the fish hatchery. I don't know if it is the same bird.
08.JPG

Close-up of the red "V".
05.JPG

The female was perched atop a nearby spar.
07.JPG

Last edited:
At Bill's Request :) Northern Flicker hybrid

Ok, Ok, Bill - here are a few. Yours look very good, by the way!

These were all taken with the Canon 7D and 500 f4L + 1.4x = 700mm full 35mm frame or 1120mm correcting for the smaller 7D sensor

3-26-26 male hybrid northern flicker_2183.JPG

3-26-26 male hybrid northern flicker_2212.JPG

Shows the chevron of the hybrid
3-26-26 male hybrid northern flicker_2226.JPG

3-26-26 male hybrid northern flicker_2278c2.JPG

I added this shot to show both the mustache and chevron of the male hybrid
3-26-26 male hybrid northern flicker_2236.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill. It was all I could do to find a hole in the branches and new leaves to look through as it is.

Friday (3/28) after lunch my son and I caught a flock of Brant looking for eel grass at Marina Beach. I got some nice shots of one completely out of water.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Later that afternoon we went to Yost Park to look for the barred owl pair. Based on my knowledge of where the owls hang out, it only took us about two minutes to find one without the help of hoots, robins, or crows. The owl was so close that I could take full frame shots with my 5DIII + 100-400L zoom.
03.JPG

When looking for owls, look for owl poop. This was on some branches directly below the owl.
04.JPG

I was hoping for some flight shots, but in the hour we stood by the tree, the only action we witnessed was occasional stretching and a hoot which was not answered by its mate.
05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back