Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
In many Asian cultures, Friday (4/4/14) was one of the three unluckiest days of the year due to the proliferation of the number 4. Coming up next will be 4/14/14 and 4/24/14. Although everyone else in my house is Asian, their bad luck did not rub off onto me as I made some good catches at the fish hatchery.

A red-breasted sapsucker was tapping away on a tree by Willow Creek. There may have been a second sapsucker in the tree as well, but I was not fast enough to photograph it.
01.JPG

At least two golden-crowned kinglets were busy going their non-stop kinglet thing by the creek. Both of our local kinglet species are my nemesis birds.
02.JPG

The kinglet's orange crown is barely visible in these two photos. A perfect kinglet shot would show the orange crown quite vividly. Like its cousin the ruby-crowned kinglet, the golden-crowned only raises its crown when it is agitated, usually by the presence of a rival kinglet.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle has seen lots of eagles this winter and spring. Here are some from Wednesday (4/2/14).

Second year(?) juvie perching on the tree at the corner of Edmonds St. and Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

It watched a train pass by.......
02.JPG

then took off.
03.JPG

A sub-adult perched in an evergreen on Hanna Park Rd.
04.JPG

One of the Hutt Park pair perched on their family tree in Hutt Park.
05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meadowdale Park

Wednesday (4/2/14) I went to Maplewood Park in the hopes of hearing/seeing the resident barred owl pair.
http://www.edmondswa.gov/government...rvices/edmonds-city-parks/maplewood-park.html

I struck out on the owls, but I caught a pair of flickers on a spar.
01.JPG

Farther down the spar, a female pileated woodpecker was pounding away. Look at the size of the wood chips she dislodged.
02.JPG

03.JPG

She looks as though she found a larva to eat.
04.JPG

While the Pacific wren is common to my area, I seldom get a shot of one.
05.JPG

Last edited:

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
ya know, i have yet to get a decent shot of a pileated woodpecker? not for want of looking, but for some reason, i just never seem to find 'em!

Terry O

That series, particularly the ones you took yesterday in the marsh adjacent to the hatchery, is nothing short of astounding, Bill! I was there - it was dark mostly, and the trees and branches with their new leaves were a tangle. Even seeing the red-breasted sapsucker(s), let alone photographing one, was amazing. You are the man!!

Joemeche

Speaking of Pileated Woodpeckers, here's a digiscoped shot from about 200' away and across a gorge. This particular nest is just below an active Osprey nest.

PIWOFeedingSmC.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
That series, particularly the ones you took yesterday in the marsh adjacent to the hatchery, is nothing short of astounding, Bill! I was there - it was dark mostly, and the trees and branches with their new leaves were a tangle. Even seeing the red-breasted sapsucker(s), let alone photographing one, was amazing. You are the man!!

I paid the price when I ventured down the creek. I was trying to get close to the marsh to look for marsh wrens when one leg sunk down to nearly my knee. Luckily I was wearing hiking boots or I probably would have lost a shoe in the mud.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some non-eagle shots from Saturday (4/5/14). Many of the marine birds have started to show their colorful breeding plumage. We have a small window to photograph some of them before they depart for their summer nesting grounds.

This horned grebe is starting to transition.
01.JPG

The pigeon guillemot is one of the earliest to change color and remains in the area year around.
02.JPG

A red-necked grebe is finally living up to its name.
03.JPG

A double-crested cormorant is starting to develop "eyebrows".
04.JPG

With its feathers resembling scales, a cormorant may be the closest we come to seeing a winged dragon.
05.JPG

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
good shots, Bill! i haven't seen a red-necked grebe before! at least, if i have, i didn't recognize it as such...

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few from Tuesday (4/8/14).

A red-winged backbird and a spotted towhee provided entertainment at the #3 viewing platform of the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A Steller's jay did the same in my backyard.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday (4/10/14) I caught two horned grebes in mating plumage diving for minnows at Olympic Beach as I was walking out to the fishing pier to look for the orcas.
01.JPG

When sun, wind, and water conditions are just right, you can see the grebes swimming underwater. They are quite fast.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Two double-crested cormorants were engaged in a serious struggle for a fish below the fishing pier.
04.JPG

One resorted to a choke hold, but it could not get the other one to cough up the fish.
05.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday (4/11/14) afternoon I photographed two native Douglas's squirrels in South County Park, located on Olympic View Drive in Edmonds.

After downloading the photos on my computer, I noticed that one of the squirrels appeared to have ticks in its left ear. I have never encountered ticks in this area and I have never seen them on the invasive eastern gray squirrels.

First squirrel. No apparent ticks.
01.JPG

Second squirrel.
02.JPG

There appear to be three ticks in its left ear.
03.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com