Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another chapter in the continuing saga of Bird Wars.

I was at the fishing pier Saturday (12/6) afternoon when a person pulled up his crab net for the day and tossed out the bait, a piece of fish, for the gulls, who are the pier's equivalent of vultures. A juvie grabbed the fish and was quickly jumped by an adult.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The juvie swallowed the fish and the adult flew off.
05.JPG

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday's (12/8) search of the marina for the snowy owl was in vain, so I had to settle for photos of two cormorants drying off opposite the fuel dock.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A great blue heron was in hiding.
04.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what this is, taken last week at Edmonds Marsh...
43a33ef6559a63e84cb663db6be8b56e.jpg

A yellow-rumped warbler. I think I was with you when you took those shots. The yellow-rumps like to hang out in the the trees along the marsh walkway in the winter. They are very photogenic and not as hard to shoot as the kinglets.

You should have labeled those provocative pigeon shots NSFW (Not Safe For Workplace). ;)

Last edited:

Terry O

Fox Sparrow at Pt. Edwards
Taken on the 3rd of Dec. Nothing special, but I liked the colors.

12-3-2014 fox sparrow_9091_filtered.jpg

'Angel Flying too close to the ground'....its amazing how a bird this big can be so maneuverable.

12-3-2014 heron flying too close_9069.JPG

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good catch on the fox sparrow. I got the same shots, but I thought it was a song sparrow. I'm glad I didn't delete the photos.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Janine: the bird you said was larger than a wren is a fox sparrow. Compare your photos to Terry's. The head looks like a song sparrow, but the checkerboard type pattern on the breast (instead of the song sparrow's stripes) is a clue.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
A windstorm Thursday night had some of the highest winds recorded in the Puget Sound region since the big windstorm of 2006. Pt. Edwards and parts of downtown Edmonds just got electric service restored this morning, having been without power for 31 hours.

The tide was extremely high Friday morning (12/12), but it was fairly calm. Lots of birds were not far off the fishing pier and the high tide put them even closer to the camera.

Rhinocerous auklet
01.JPG

Common murre
02.JPG

Brandt's cormorant, which I don't believe is common for this area.
03.JPG

Pacific loon
04.JPG

Bonaprte's gull
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com