Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

some really nice stuff there, Bill... kinglets are a bear to catch! they're like little pinballs with wings, and getting one to hold still long enough for the AF to lock can be a challenge...

Tuesday morning (1/21) a female hairy woodpecker was at my suet feeder. Other than flickers, I don't get woodpeckers in my back yard very often.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Any canine which dares stray beyond the boundary of the off-leash dog beach faces the wrath of the guard gull. :mad:
01.JPG

Friday afternoon (1/24) an evil minion of the Dark Lord was perched on a branch of one of the Doug firs in my back yard. I throw peanuts off the back deck for the crows and squirrels.
01.JPG

Initially the crows waited until I went back into the house before descending on the lawn to get peanuts. They now swoop down while I am still on the back deck. They have learned that if they wait too long, the squirrels will get the peanuts.

Hey, this is cool, Bill! Was this taken with your newly updated 5Diii firmware??

Yes it was, but I had not made the autofocus sight adjustments. I doubt it would have made any differences as the crow was stationary. I'll have to test it out on a moving target.

Last edited:
I doubt you would notice it right off the bat. The main upgrade was the autofocus system, especially with the 1.4x and the 100/400.

Saturday (1/25) I hit the usual spots around noon. After taking so many photos in lousy light, I am always amazed at how much better they look when the sun is out.

One of the hummers (Wesley?) at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. I was shooting at -1 exposure compensation due to the bright winter sunlight reflecting off the hummer at a low angle.
01.JPG

Earlier in the week I photographed one of the Pt. Edwards eagles breaking some branches off a tree and flying away with them, so I decided to check on their nest.

Guess what I saw? :confused:
02.JPG

03.JPG

A male kingfisher was flying low over the Sound off Sunset Ave.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Exciting to see the eagles back at the nest, Bill. And your in-flight shots of the kingfisher are great! Don't know how you do it....

Eagle action from Sunday (1/26) at Marina Park in Edmonds.

The female flew up to the piling with a fish and ate it.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

After she finished, she scraped her beak clean on the sides of the piling.
05.JPG

Taking in the view.
06.JPG

Some kayakers passed by, but she did not mind.
07.JPG

Flying out over the Sound near sunset.
08.JPG

09.JPG

An attempt at seconds.
10.JPG

Last edited:
A sea lion was taking it easy off Marina Breach while I was photographing the eagle.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

More photos of the sea lion can be found in the Edmonds Sunset thread.

Last edited:
Monday (1/27): The Pt. Edwards eagles are now hanging out at the piling off Marina Beach daily. This presents good photo ops, even when the sun is not shining.
01.JPG

I think this is the female.
02.JPG

She flew from the piling to a tree over the railroad tracks next to the dog beach. I walked over to the dog park and caught her as she flew past me to a second tree.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I returned later that afternoon to catch her flying from the piling south around Pt. Edwards after she had finished eating a fish.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

The eagles were not Monday's only photogenic birds.

Willow Creek fish hatchery
Chestnut-backed chickadee at a feeder.
01.JPG

Pileated woodpecker on a tall, dead tree.
02.JPG

Brackett's Landing
A gaggle of grebes?
03.JPG

Fishing pier
A squadron of scoters?
04.JPG

One scoter dived under the fishing pier and pried a mussle from the submerged barnacles attached to the pier's supports.
05.JPG

Last edited:
good stuff, Bill... i may try to make it down there next Saturday or something, see if the eagle will cooperate... ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back