wood duck

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
This male wood duck was kind enough to swim close for a photo at the park this afternoon. the light was shifting a lot from clouds blowing in front of the sun, but these turned out pretty well...

40D, 100-400 @ 400mm, various speeds @ f/7.1

IMG_0853sm.jpg

IMG_0859sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And what a sharp capture. Love that subject, but also totally admiring your lens. WOW!

*has lens envy*

thanks, folks... Leia, the 100-400L is one of the best lenses in its class. it ain't cheap, but it's given me some absolutely fabulous photos, and i've never once regretted the cost. of course, i was spoiled to begin with... i'd started with a Sigma EX80-400, which is just about the same in terms of optical quality, and only marginally cheaper. i'd seen a lot of photos taken with "consumer" grade lenses, and they never seemed to match the ones i saw taken with the top-end glass, so i made a decision before i even bought my first DSLR that i would get the best lenses i could manage, and it's been well worth it.

Rocky, since you brought up Sigma, did you ever try the Sigma 50-500m lens? I am seeing awesome sample shots at 100%, with some mixed love it or hate it reviews.

Rocky, since you brought up Sigma, did you ever try the Sigma 50-500m lens? I am seeing awesome sample shots at 100%, with some mixed love it or hate it reviews.

no, i never tried the "Bigma", but several online acquaintances have, and they all seem pleased with it. the biggest knock on that lens is that it's quite heavy, and is not stabilized. the latter is the biggie... a 500mm lens really needs IS, especially if the max aperture is f/6.3 at full zoom, and it's gonna be hand-held at all. but the image quality it's capable of is really very good.

Nice shots, great exposure. Sharp lens you have there too!
Love the reflection in the last one, very cool

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back