Worldwide Megapixel Shortage Looming

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
megapixelmine.jpg

Dateline Canonikon China, 4/1/13

Digital imaging manufacturers express concern about looming megapixel shortage.

Megapixels are important components in any digital imaging device. With digital cameras, cell phones and tablets like the iPad all having digital cameras, demand is at record levels. Each sensor contains millions of the red, green and blue pixels.

Megapixel supply shortages will extend into the first half of next year as an accelerating Megapixel battle more than doubles the pace of growth in global consumption even as mines extract a record amount of megapixels. The attached photos shows the Big Megapixel Mine in Canonikon China, one of the largest megapixel mines in the world, and as you can see, the mine is already very deep. It is unclear just how long before it will be mined out.

Demand will outpace supply by 316,000 metric tons in the first six months, more than all pixels in London Metal Exchange warehouses, Arclays Plc estimates. Production has lagged behind consumption since 2012, when the Nikon D800 was introduced. With a 36 megapixel sensor, we simply couldn't supply pixels fast enough! The wait time for a new D800 was months when they were first introduced, due to the shortage.

Canon has also increased demand, with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III with 22 megapixels. Demand for this camera has been very strong, and demand for the D800 and D800e continues to be high.

The United States, which uses 51 percent of the world’s megapixels, is rebounding from seven quarters of slowing growth. Housing starts in the U.S., the second-largest consumer, reached a four- year high last month. Japan continues a very strong demand for cameras and cell phones with high resolution cameras and business confidence unexpectedly strengthened in Germany, Europe’s biggest economy, and the third largest consumer of pixels.

“U.S. growth will continue and Europe is increasingng, so the demand will continue to grow. It all falls back to China, and whether they can find new veins of pixels” said Dominic Schnider, Singapore-based global head of non-traditional assets at UBS AG’s wealth-management unit.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have read that there are vast pixel deposits in the western US, but environmental concerns have kept them from being mined. Until the appropriate "green" technology is developed, we will continue to rely on foreign sources for pixels.

Last edited:

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
OMG, that means I will have to add more to our insurance rider on our house. There are a lot of people that would be astounded at my hoarded stash! Guess I better get that safe deposit box right away.

I do have an additional piece of advice for those seeking to replenish before news of this shortage reaches the average point and shoot market... Be cautious about getting your pixels in any other place than an authorized distributor. Remember, these pixels are all registered and the person(s) caught in possession of stolen pixels are being charged with a Class A felony regardless of their involvement in the theft. There are also a lot of illegal pixels on the black market right now and their origin is questionable at best. Another major concern to the buyer, gray market pixels are not covered in any way by the seller or your insurance company. This is true of all electronic items but especially the pixel market where this shortage is already having a major impact.

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Bob, I don't see any yellow in the photo of the pixel mine. Does that mean they are already out? Just in time for a sunny spring of photography? (Panic sets in...)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Bob, I don't see any yellow in the photo of the pixel mine. Does that mean they are already out? Just in time for a sunny spring of photography? (Panic sets in...)
There are no yellow pixels, they don't exist!

So, let's stop the joking for a moment and talk about that...

When you were a kid, you learned about primary colors, red, yellow and blue. Those three colors are all you need to make any color. Want green? Combine yellow and blue. What orange? Red and yellow...

We probably all learned that in kindergarten, playing with our Crayolas. (These days they probably use iPads to color on, who knows?)

So, what colors are pixels? Red, Green and Blue. Wait, what about yellow? Why green?

Well, pixels are dealing with light, not with pigment. So they work differently than you'd expect. To get yellow, you mix red and green. Green and blue makes Cyan, a light blue, and red and blue make Magenta, a sort of purple.

So how does this work? There are two types of colors:

"Subtractive colors", such as pigment, paints and dyes. They subtract wavelengths from the light they reflect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color

"Additive colors", such as monitors, LCDs and Projectors. They add wavelengths to the image, creating new colors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

arlinescott

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh, I guess I never considered the difference in colors of light and primary colors.

It's all becoming a little clearer... That batch of yellow pixels I ordered is fraudulent then. I'm gonna have to report the mining company to the BPB! (Better Pixels Bureau)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com