year in review - a dozen of my favorites from 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
these may not all represent my best images from a purely technical point of view, but they're some of my favorite photos from the year just passed, and a pretty good cross-section of what i spent the year shooting...

a red=breasted sapsucker at Juanita Bay Park, showing off its colors in amazingly beautiful light...

IMG_5631%20crop%20sm.jpg

Wesley, showing off on a wire...

IMG_6093_filtered%20crop%20signed.jpg

American Border Peak on a somewhat ominous afternoon...

IMG_4591%20sm.jpg

some dowitchers in flight, spooked by a merlin overhead...

IMG_5830%20crop_filtered%20sm.jpg

a P-47 Thunderbolt from Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection... one of my best warbird shots of the year.

IMG_5650%20crop%20sm.jpg

"Sentimental Journey", a B-17 owned and operated by the Commemorative Air Force. this beauty has been flying around the country to airshows and the like for over 20 years... i got my first photo of her in 1985 at a Paine Field airshow. the B&W conversion is a bit of a departure for me, but i definitely like it with this subject!

Sentimental%20Journey%20mono2.jpg

a least sandpiper, from about 15 feet away. it thought i couldn't see it, so i was able to get quite close for this shot...

IMG_9531%20crop%20sm.jpg

a mother coot and chick, from summer at Canyon Park... i always liked the shared feeling of familial tenderness this image evokes; whether coots actually feel that is another question entirely!

IMG_2807%20crop1%20sm.jpg

a great egret, one of many photos of this beautiful bird that i got while it was hanging around the Everett marina... i love the light through the translucent feathers!

IMG_8327%20crop_1%20sm.jpg

a California quail on a fencepost along a dirt road near Ellensburg... i love how the quail stands out so beautifully from the background in the "golden hour" light...

Quail%20sm.jpg

a female northern harrier... it's relatively rare to get a shot of them on the ground, from such a close distance, so i was quite pleased with this photo...

IMG_2381%20crop%20sm_1.jpg

this is probably my favorite shot of the entire year... a short-eared owl, from about 15 yards away, in some of the prettiest light i could ask for, with a soft background of beautifully contrasting colors that really set the owl off nicely...

IMG_2723%20crop%20sm.jpg

Great shots. Wesley will be pleased to hear that he made your year's top twelve.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back