Thread: November Photo Contest - Food Photography

Default November Photo Contest - Food Photography

I asked for ideas for this month's contest, and I'm going to use a slightly modified version of one of the suggestions. The suggestion was "Celebratory Food", and that's a great idea. However, I also realized that the holidays can be very busy, and you may not have time during Thanksgiving Dinner to say "Hang on, don't cut that turkey until I get the beauty dish set up and get a couple of shots!"

So... To try and make it easy for everyone, and allow folks to experiment however they like, the theme will be food in general. Bonus points for holiday food, but shoot any kind of food you'd like! For our purposes, food also includes drinks and beverages, so if you've been itching to pull off one of those glamour shots of a frosty cold one, here's your excuse! (Of course after the shoot, you'll need to dispose of the beverage in an appropriate manner, so Cheers!)

Whatever you consider the theme to be is fair game, so this should allow for lots of possibilities.

Make of the theme what you will. There are certainly a lot of ideas and themes you can do with it. Be creative and show us your best work.

This is the photo contest, so you can only submit one photo to this one.

We really encourage you to shoot a photo specifically for the contest, that makes it more of an assignment for you, and adds a bit of challenge and fun. However, since that's not always an option for everyone, you can submit one of your previous shots if you'd like.

Since this is the photo contest, PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY COMMENTS TO THIS THREAD. That rule is intended to make the voting fair for every participant, since even well intentioned comments like "great shot!" might influence somebody's opinion of a photo. Once the voting is completed, you're welcome to comment and/or ask questions about the photos.

Tech Note: Use the "Post Reply" button to create a message with your photo in it. The "Quick Reply" box doesn't have an option for uploading an image.
    Last edited by BobH; 11-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    Bob Harbison
    PNWphotos.com Host

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams

Well, guess I'll get the ball rolling... Here's a high quality food photo created using an extensive lighting setup in my studio. The subject was illuminated with 5 lights.

Name:  twinkies.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  94.7 KB
    Bob Harbison
    PNWphotos.com Host

OK, folks, if you're going to win this one, you'll need to do better than that! (If you remember to take off your lens cap, you've got a good chance of it.)

Oh, and the "5 lights"? That's my chandlier.
    Last edited by BobH; 11-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Bob Harbison
    PNWphotos.com Host

Here ya go a food shot (we will keep with the chocolate theme )

SONY A99 full frame Sony A55, Sony A580. Zeiss 16-80MM F3.5, Minolta 50mm F1.7, Minolta 35-70mm F4, Sigma 50-500mm Bigma, F4, Cactus V5 wireless triggers, bunch O flashes and modifiers and other JUNK

Default Eye Candy

Street food at the Chiang Mai Night Market
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Everybody loves fruit

Mike-PDX
    You can observe a lot by watching - Yogi Berra

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

C&C welcome and encouraged on all my photos

7. Default

Ants have to eat too but this lunch is already taken (mostly).

I took this last summer near the head of the St Joe River in Idaho. The snake is a garter snake, the fish a sculpin and I don't know which of the 1000+ species the ant is.

Paul in Hillsboro
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Are gumballs considered food??

Just Shoot It !!