Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lens!!

1. Default New lens!!

My 100mm 2.8L arrived yesterday.. i was so thrilled..... I am just playing around with it today.... I am sure i will learn more stuff about it...

first the mushroom...

mushroom by photocopys photos, on Flickr

now for my dogs nose...sniff sniff.. i smell you!

millies nose macro test by photocopys photos, on Flickr

I'm envious. That's the next lens I'm planning on buying. However, I have to get approval from my CFO (aka wife).
    Dale Schaecher

Sony A77 / Zeiss 16-80 / Sigma 70-200 / Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Tripod / Other accessories

My website: http://k-d.artistwebsites.com/

Congrats Photocopy... Merry Christmas to you!
    Arline Scott
    http://arlinescottphotography.com

Congrats! I'm curious, why buy a fixed length lens (prime)? Is it a macro lens? Judging by what you posted, I'm guessing it is.
    Bob Harbison
    PNWphotos.com Host

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams

I love the 100mm Macro, I felt the original 100mm Macro one of the best "non-red ringed" lenses Canon made. The newer one with IS is even better.

Why does your Flicker page say these were taken December 1, 2011??
    Last edited by Tony S; 11-30-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Just Shoot It !!

Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Congrats! I'm curious, why buy a fixed length lens (prime)? Is it a macro lens? Judging by what you posted, I'm guessing it is.
    I know that the one I'm looking at buying in the near future is a macro.
    Dale Schaecher

Sony A77 / Zeiss 16-80 / Sigma 70-200 / Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 Tripod / Other accessories

My website: http://k-d.artistwebsites.com/

That's the newer Canon 100 2.8 IS Macro. Crisper and sharper than the old 100 2.8, which is hard to believe since the old one had great image quality. The IS really helps with macro when there is no tripod handy.
    Just Shoot It !!

Photocopy, joining you in the addition of a new lens! An early Christmas present for use on my upcoming trip to... New York City! Considering the hustle and bustle of the city on any given day, and then adding the frantic holiday pace to the mix, I asked Robert for an early Christmas gift. I received the Tamron 18-270 VR lens.

Why this lens? Back in my film camera days, I used to shoot my kids games, playground trips and other activities. During those events, I did not have the time to switch bulky lenses and keep up with the activity so I purchased my first Tamron lens. I researched several different brands, tried them in store and decided the speed and quality of the Tamron 28-200 with such a large focal range was the superior glass in any of the models I could afford.

Several sales people and fellow photographers thought this was too much range for any lens to handle and maintain sharpness. I used other lenses for the kind of work that required pin point sharpness but would have missed out on the great shots I have of my kids and their friends if I had not sacrificed a little on the end ranges. With all of the improvements and advances in cameras and lenses this edge softness has all but disappeared.

This lens will enable me to go to the wide angle including the immense heights of buildings in one shot and immediately focus in on some detail in the next shot without losing time making a lens change. I will also be able to keep the camera securely in hand making theft a much less likely event.

I will still continue to use fixed lenses for portraits but look forward to the flexibility of this wonderful new lens. Merry Christmas to me!
    Arline Scott
    http://arlinescottphotography.com

9. Default

Arleen.. wow!!! thats great... All of us will be looking for alot of pictures when you get back!!! I hope the weather is better there than here..LOL

Congrats Arline! Nikon recently issued one as well, an 18-300. So apparently they feel the lens tech had progressed to the point the results are worthwhile. It's a lot more than the Tamron though, and I'm guessing the quality is comparable. Do you sacrifice image quality with a super zoom? Sure, but unless you're printing huge prints you won't see the difference. Also, unless your technique is impeccable, using tripods or otherwise assuring tack sharp images, the subtle difference between this and a prime won't even be an issue.

My D300 came with an 18-200 lens. I love that lens. It's a great "walk about" lens, and allows you to go from wide to telephoto in an instant. It's the one thing I miss most with my D300. I'm constantly swapping lenses as I change subjects. I can see why pros carry two bodies to avoid that hassle.

Here's a comparision chart of the 3 flavors Nikon offers by the (in)famous Ken Rockwell. Love him or hate him, there's still decent info to be found here.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/compari...ooms/index.htm
    Last edited by BobH; 12-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Bob Harbison
    PNWphotos.com Host

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams