The Lady

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

Otherwise known as my aphid killing machine. It's an image I took almost 6 years ago. The shallow dof courtesy of the 100mm macro.

395475413.jpg

Wow, nice shot! Quite the color on her shell. Did you enhance the saturation a bit? Looks like metal flake, LOL!

Didn't really up the saturation much on it, maybe only +7 on the slider for the reds in the original conversion years ago (I seldom did much then to any of the photos, was always trying for straight from the camera).
But I did desaturate the other colors and tweaked the vibrance and blacks when I opened the old jpeg in ACR to work it tonight. The metal flake look might have come from using the large shiney metal lid to the frying pan as a reflector with natural light.

I'll have to dig deeper for the original unedited file to see what I did.

Last edited:
There is a Beetle up in the woods around Mount Rainier that has a most incredible green "metalflake paint job" iridescent coloring. I don't know what it is, other than a Beetle, and possibly, based on a Google search, a Tiger Beetle.

It looks something like this one, but I don't recall it having the spots. I also thought the green was a bit more apple green/gold, but that could have simply been the sunlight.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Green_tiger_beetle_1.jpg

I'd like to find one some day when I've got a good macro lens handy.

Last edited:
Really really really nice photo, Tony. I love it! The 100mm macro is a beast!

Everything about this photo sings to me, good sir.

Love it!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back