Recent content by Benton

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Benton

Trying to learn some HDR

I understand the concept of HDR, but have never tried it. Could someone (DL?) explain the mechanics of it? o Do the tools assume you were using a tripod and the base images are exactly aligned or does the app provide a manual or automatic alignment stage? o I heard Photomatix and PS...
  2. Benton

Pattern Pano

This is the photo I wanted to enter on the Pattern Challenge. Discovered when I went to work it over that some bit-rot had overtaken my original Hugin install, so was delayed while getting that sorted out and missed the game. MilanTerminal-r-1200x290 by bcgmh, on Flickr So what's so...
  3. Benton

The Lunar eclipse has started

Reminds me of a shot I turned in for HS photography class. Teacher said, "You say it's a full moon. I say it's a golf ball on black velvet." How about mirror lock-up? I haven't played with it yet on my camera, but seems like a good idea. Benton 21dec10
  4. Benton

Had to "Gorge" myself

I suppose it'd be rude to set a tripod next to the first but remember I'm the guy that almost never has my tripod with me. I can walk by taking a picture just about as fast... as I can walk by. (Of course, that I took the photo w/o breaking pace shows in a lot of my pictures.) Bob 'n...
  5. Benton

Had to "Gorge" myself

I'd be lying if I said I'd never done that. The trick is to act like you had the idea all along. Benton 24nov10
  6. Benton

Sitting in the snow

Back when I was a kid, growing up in Portland, the 'conventional wisdom' was to bring in the nectar feeders in the fall, else the hummers wouldn't migrate. I've since learned some won't migrate, anyway. Wonder how many we starved after getting 'em hooked on our yard, then yanking the...
  7. Benton

Wishram Pano Shot

A friend shot a pano, multiple frames of an airplane taking off. In this case, the repeated subject was the goal. When all stitched together, he'd done a remarkably nice job of timing the frames, well spaced. The net effect was sort of like a 'strobe' photo. Benton 13nov10
  8. Benton

Get 'em while they're hot!

I don't know about sharpness, but the kit lens that came with my original Rebel 300D...when you reversed direction on the zoom ring, the whole front group would shift sideways ~1/16" and cant a little. The only upside of losing that camera was that was the lens mounted at the time. Benton...
  9. Benton

Hellooooo...from the PDX 'burbs

Obligatory howdy -- I'm Benton, Portland native, hobbyist photographer since, oh I dunno, did a couple stints on the HS Yearbook staff, class of <cough>77, so I suppose I was already going at it before that. Contemplating <city>DailyPhoto. Got caught up with that, reliving a vacation stay...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back