Had to "Gorge" myself

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to head up to the Gorge when there is a day like this. The freeway was clear and I had visions of snow capped hills. My plan was to run up to the Vista House for a snowy scene and soon I discovered that there was a pesky haze and low cloud cover with hills that were barely kissed by snow.

I made the decision to head to Multnomah Falls. It was a rare day when it's cold like this, not even the slightest breeze.

I had to take the obligatory MF shot.
5202698143_904ebdb765_b.jpg

But, there's so much more. Don't forget to turn around and look back from time to time. The light is always changing.
5203297708_6fcf51c9b5_b.jpg

Then there's this section of Multnomah Creek. It always seems to be ignored. It's a funny thing too. I shoot this little section quite often and people walk right by it. Then when they see the tripod come up a little crowd gathers and takes pictures. Today it had a smattering of leaves left on the trees and some cool light coming from behind. I added a neutral density filter and liked the end result.
5203300002_9b4ee55714_b.jpg

While I had the ND filter on and caught a section where small chunks of ice where floating by. They were uninteresting with a short shutter but slow them down there was a neat pattern. Too bad about the reflection from the light. I may have to come back another time when I can catch that composition with the light off. But who knows if that will ever happen again with just the right amount of ice. Sometimes you just have to take ths shot.
5203300100_bb17ec8a38_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ohh great shots.
I take it you went up the old highway? how was it?
I'm thinking of perhaps going up this weekend if I can get the truck from hubby.

Wow, very nice! Good catch on the Falls and ice, and love the creek shots.

The falls are already icing? AWESOME!! I especially love the third shot. Very nice. :p

Leia, all it takes is weather below freezing. The falls are a perfect for freezing, since all that mist gets cold quite quickly, and sticks to anything close by, so the ice builds up quickly. Should look good in a few days.

Ohh great shots.
I take it you went up the old highway? how was it?
I'm thinking of perhaps going up this weekend if I can get the truck from hubby.

No I didn't I was a bit late and was concerned that there had not been enough traffic to clear the road of ice. Although, if I followed my original plan to go to Crown Point and the Vista house I might have continued depending on what I saw.

Thanks Bob and Leia.

Bob's right about it not taking much because of the wind blows the spray on the rocks and there is always water seeping through the cliffs. Last year I got some incredible ice shots, even with ice climbers.

Today was pretty special NO WIND. I should have started earlier in the day.

WOW...love them all and motion in creek is amazing. I had to laugh at the "obligatory" comment. I say that all time. How did you do the last shot?

No I didn't I was a bit late and was concerned that there had not been enough traffic to clear the road of ice. Although, if I followed my original plan to go to Crown Point and the Vista house I might have continued depending on what I saw.

aww okay, thanks Janice. although I suspect it should be fine by the weekend considering our temps are going to be back in the 40's starting on turkey day.

or so they say LOL.

WOW...love them all and motion in creek is amazing. I had to laugh at the "obligatory" comment. I say that all time. How did you do the last shot?

ISO 100, 8 seconds f20. I used a variable density filter by singh ray to make the long exposure and cut some of the reflection.

love the falls, especially the ice around the plunge pool at the bottom... i haven't been there when it's frozen. would love to get the chance, though!

Nice series of shots Janice, especially getting creative with something overlooked by most. I need to get out tomorrow to the local falls that should be iced up again, but this time I'm taking my old style golf shoes with me so I can get back up the hill.

I shoot this little section quite often and people walk right by it. Then when they see the tripod come up a little crowd gathers and takes pictures.
I'd be lying if I said I'd never done that. The trick is to act like you had the idea all along.

Benton 24nov10

I'd be lying if I said I'd never done that. The trick is to act like you had the idea all along.

I wouldn't do that. Just come back a few minutes later :p
I suppose it'd be rude to set a tripod next to the first but remember I'm the guy that almost never has my tripod with me. I can walk by taking a picture just about as fast... as I can walk by. (Of course, that I took the photo w/o breaking pace shows in a lot of my pictures.)

Bob 'n everyone -- the neatest part about finding this forum has been *all* the really stunning photography. Makes me really want to up my game, step up from vacation snap-shots to actually crafting some images.

Benton 24nov10

I suppose it'd be rude to set a tripod next to the first but remember I'm the guy that almost never has my tripod with me. I can walk by taking a picture just about as fast... as I can walk by. (Of course, that I took the photo w/o breaking pace shows in a lot of my pictures.)

Benton 24nov10

Actually I think it's kind of flattering. It shows that I saw something that people missed and they liked enough to duplicate. Although with I go on a meet-up or with friends, I try to be original just for my one sake. But, hey if they have the best spot I'm there.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back