A drive around Mt. Rainier

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

climbbike

Well, I was actually surprised how much snow is still in the upper elevations . . . . but we found some interesting waterfalls down lower. I was also hoping to photograph foxes again near Reflection Lakes but no such luck this year. They are doing construction in the area and maybe that has scared them off a bit . . .

A waterfall off of the highway east of Rainier, that is literally just doing straight down through the trees . . . pretty amazing really.

p544471488-5.png

Upper part of the same waterfall.
p511157550-6.png

A waterfall along the Stevens Canyon road. This photo was quite the challenge. I needed a long a exposure to get the water, the way I wanted it but the wind was blowing which was resulting in blurry branches. I ended up having to combine to photos get the photo I wanted. One photo is a short exposure to get the foliage sharp and the other is a longer exposure to get the water, I then combined them later. I think it worked pretty well.
p70038299-5.png

Sunset.
p151624837-5.png

Narada Falls (think thats the right name). I tried to get a unique shot of these falls. This is from the road up above them.
p483711162-6.png

C+C always welcome.

Last edited:
nice set... especially the 4th one - love the colors and layers. great feeling of depth. the falls in #3 is sometimes called Stevens Fork Falls, sometimes Picture Frame Falls, i don't think it has an "official" name, but it's right next to Stevens Creek where it passes under the highway. there are a lot of little seasonal waterfalls along that road, many go dry in August or September, but after a heavy snowpack and a cool spring, they'll often flow well into autumn.

Very nice! I like the "Picture Frame Falls" shot, that's a good shot of that falls.

The sunset shot is excellent. Where is that taken from? I don't recognize the location.

Very nice! I like the "Picture Frame Falls" shot, that's a good shot of that falls.

The sunset shot is excellent. Where is that taken from? I don't recognize the location.

i could be wrong, but it looks like one of the viewpoints between Reflection Lakes and the Paradise loop road...

i could be wrong, but it looks like one of the viewpoints between Reflection Lakes and the Paradise loop road...

I don't think that's right. It does resemble the viewpoint on that road that overlooks Narada Falls, but something doesn't look quite right about it.

In any case, if it IS that viewpoint, how did he get where he's at? The road doesn't climb that much, and I'm just not sure how you'd get the high up? On a trail on a nearby peak?

One photo is a short exposure to get the foliage sharp and the other is a longer exposure to get the water, I then combined them later. I think it worked pretty well.

Yes, that's the most effective technique to get the silky water look. Leafs tend to, well... shake like a leaf. If you freeze their motion, you freeze the water. Do a long exposure and you learn that leaves and entire branches move around quite a bit. They give you a blurred look that you can only correct by doing a composite of two images.

I don't think that's right. It does resemble the viewpoint on that road that overlooks Narada Falls, but something doesn't look quite right about it.

In any case, if it IS that viewpoint, how did he get where he's at? The road doesn't climb that much, and I'm just not sure how you'd get the high up? On a trail on a nearby peak?

Actually, that's exactly where I was, on the road itself. The Narada falls photo and Sunset photo were taken feet apart. One was just pointing the camera up and out and the other was pointing the camera down at the falls.

I've seen other photos similar to my sunset photo but they usually are pointed more to the left and do not include the road. I have one like that too but I thought including the road made it a little more interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks, CB. I've got it figured out now. I was correct in that it wasn't where I was thinking it was.

I was thinking that was a photo of the place you were standing. (Not taken while standing there, but a photo of that location.) But it didn't look right, and there's no reasonable way to get to the place you'd need to have been to take that shot.

While I've photographed from the location you were at dozens of times, I guess I've never really noticed how well you can see that pull off below Narada Falls from there. So I was close, but couldn't place the road that was in the image. It all makes sense now.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back