A Fine Winter Day at Nisqually

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

My family took a later afternoon trip out to the Nisqually Reserve and were treated to the spectacle of 12 Bald Eagles, mostly yearlings, playing around the river.

Unfortunately, not a lot of good light, so some the images are of less quality than I'd prefer, but some of there antics were worth the poor quality.

Family photos.....of the young eagles! Priceless. Thanks for sharing. :)

Nice shots Steve, you really caught some good action.

You've got a lot of shots with a large stump in them, where were those taken? I know you were at the Nisqually Refuge, but that location doesn't look familiar so I'm wondering if it's something I missed.

That is a really cool place to go and take photos. The wildlife is pretty comfortable with people, so you can get some good photos. You can also see more huge lenses in one place than just about anywhere except maybe the sideline at an NFL game. Usually an 80-200 looks like a fairly big lens, down there you'll feel like you're carrying a point and shoot if you've got anything under 300 mm!

Amazing shots! Obviously I need to go there the next time I'm up in Olympia! (I have family there.)

Bob:

Use this link to one my photos on Pbase.com:

http://www.pbase.com/ottercove/image/121803304

Under the photo there is a link "view map" and it will show you exactly where I was standing.

I've only been there 3 times, and each time my 100-400 canon was easily the largest lens I saw. I find it sort of humorous that standing all around me were people with little P&S cameras, clicking away at what will likely look like specks in the sky. And then there I am wishing for a larger and faster lens, so I could get a really great shot.

Under the photo there is a link "view map" and it will show you exactly where I was standing.

OK, thanks. Looks like I was right next to that spot, but didn't walk down that trail. The aerial photo is rather out of date, they've built a new dike much closer to the twin barns and phased out the older dike. We walked down the new dike as far as you could go, then headed back to the trailhead. Had we turned left and just walked a short distance it would have lead to the spot you were at.

I've only been there 3 times, and each time my 100-400 canon was easily the largest lens I saw. I find it sort of humorous that standing all around me were people with little P&S cameras, clicking away at what will likely look like specks in the sky. And then there I am wishing for a larger and faster lens, so I could get a really great shot.

Guess it depends on when you show up. We were there on a Saturday morning, and there were lots of 400 lenses on display, as well as a lot of smaller stuff too. It's really family friendly, so there were plenty of kids and people with point and shoots as well. But there were also some serious birders in evidence too, with at least one 400 mm 2.8 lens, wrapped in camo and mounted on a gymbal mount for easy shooting.

The beauty of the place is that you don't have to have long lenses and fast glass. You do for some stuff of course, the bald eagles won't let you get overly close, but other things like geese and herons are so used to people you can get right up to them.

As an example, these guys were taking a break on the path. You literally had to walk around therm. You'll notice they're quite relaxed. Yes, he's got his eye open and is watching me, but still, the head under your wing position indicates they're not worried. They stayed there enjoying the sun as whole groups walked right past them.

This shot is only slightly cropped, shot at 200 mm from maybe 20 feet away.

View attachment 2267

We also got quite close to several herons, including one who patiently waited as a whole group of Paparrazi took her photo, and it took a little girl in a flourescent pink coat getting within about 5 feet of her to inspire the heron to slowly walk further away from the path.

Obviously, bald eagles are harder to find that geese or herons, and you won't get as close to them. But if you're patient and not overly picky on what species you photograph, just about anyone can have some fun photographing birds here, no matter what lens you have.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back