an evening at Cannon Beach

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
long drive for an evening, but Cannon Beach has never disappointed me yet... well, not completely, anyway! ;) i actually was hoping it'd be clear so i could get some milky way shots over Haystack, but the clouds had other ideas. anyway, i did get several "keepers". really odd... Seaside, just a few miles north, was completely socked in with fog, but Cannon Beach had sun, even though there was a big ol' cloud bank just offshore. but the clouds did make for a dramatic sunset. here are just a couple....

there were still a bunch of people wandering around Haystack, and the Needles were offering better compositions. i did get a few of Haystack, but this is more dramatic... 5D2m 24-105 @ 27mm, 1/80 @ f/11 w/grad ND...

ReflectedFiresm_zps03c3aa24.jpg

sometimes, the best shots are taken AWAY from the sunset... this was looking south along the beach, about 25 minutes after sunset. i really loved the pastel colors and the reflections, and the way the fog was rolling up over the shore... 5D2, 24-105 @ 55mm, 1/10 @ f/11, -1EV w/grad ND...

Pacificasm_zpsf1fd6a3a.jpg

Nice captures! Way to catch the fog rolling up over the shore. At a glance it looks like some pretty wild waves. Good work!
Chad

thanks, Chad... though catching the fog didn't require any panning or other "moving target" techniques... ;) but it was part of the appeal of this shot, for sure!

I had to look twice at the second photo to make sure it was just fog and not a tsunami about to sweep you away.

Super shots!

thanks, Joe!

I had to look twice at the second photo to make sure it was just fog and not a tsunami about to sweep you away.

yeah, it does kinda have that look to it... though if a tsunami were to occur, i'd have never made it off the beach... i can't run worth spit anymore, and itwas a good 300 yards just to get to the nearest beach access point, and half a mile back to my car!

Nice work!

thanks, Jan!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back