anyone know what this is? i'm no expert on shore birds...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
stopped by Edmonds this afternoon in hopes i might catch the kingfisher, but it was not to be found... a shame, but not a surprise. so i went over to the marsh to see if there was anything interesting there, and found this little fellow... no idea what it is, though. Bill, any ideas? a sandpiper or plover of some sort? the light was pretty poor, and he was some distance away, so this isn't as clear as i'd like by a long shot, but hopefully good enough for a positive ID... 7D, 600mm, 1/1600 @ f/7.1

semipalmated%20sandpiper_zpsrj7sleiw.jpg

I'm surprised I didn't run into you at the marsh as I made two trips there myself today. During my last trip there were three shorebirds on the far side of the marsh, too far away for me to ID or photograph. I always have to relearn sandpiper ID's every year.

The three most common small sandpipers found at the Edmonds marsh are dunlin, least sandpiper, and western sandpiper. It is not a least sandpiper due to its yellow legs and not a dunlin due to its shorter bill. That leaves western sandpiper, although its bill is not as drooped as a western's.

Looking at my Sibley's, the bird in the photo resembles a semipalmated sandpiper. I can post up a link to this thread on Tweeters and see what the real birders think.

Last edited:
i was only there for about 45 minutes... this little guy was in the first mudflat in front of the platform where Wesley usually hangs out. there were 2 or 3 of them there, along with some killdeer. i looked in my "Birds of Washington State", and it does look a lot like a semipalmated sandpiper, but they all look so much alike, it's hard to tell... ;)

I posted an ID request on Tweeters. So far there has been one vote for a western sandpiper with a short bill.

All the responses I have received from people on Tweeters have said western sandpiper. There can be variation in bill lengths among individual birds of that species.

I agree, a Western. The semi-palmated plover looks a lot like a killdeer, only one band on its neck.

Sanderling with breeding plumage maybe? I know there are a bunch of Sanderling's at Marina Beach now.

Sanderling with breeding plumage maybe? I know there are a bunch of Sanderling's at Marina Beach now.

Sanderlings seem to prefer salt water beaches. I cannot recall ever seeing any at the marsh. I suspect sanderlings have evolved to feed along the beach, darting toward and away from the incoming waves in their search for washed-up food.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back