Bald Eagle shots from this morning

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BrianH

Taking the camera off of auto and shooting Aperture Priority is giving me better results on the whites and exposures....also started shooting in RAW is giving me more to work with

aaaDSC06248.gif

aaaDSC06240.gif

This is the Eagle that had the broken beak which you can see has healed well. hand-held 500mm Sigma Bigma. I asked him to smooth out his ruffled chest feathers and he did not answer. go figure

How rude of him not to listen. :)

I like the second one. He's to centered in the shot on the first so a different crop should help that.

Oh... saw you on the Camel too :)

Yep a little more action over there, and for as busy as it is still a great knowledge base. I do love this local scene, this place is home

Last edited:
I love the contrast with him against that blue sky. They never listen to me either when I ask them to move out further on the branch or fly by again so I can get a better shot.

excellent! could be a little brighter - the colors seem just a tad dark to me - but otherwise superb! wish i could get one to pose like that! how far away were you, and what lens did you use?

excellent! could be a little brighter - the colors seem just a tad dark to me - but otherwise superb! wish i could get one to pose like that! how far away were you, and what lens did you use?

Sigma Bigma, 50-500mm, shot at 500mm about 90 ft away, Hand held. 1/500th second, F9, ISO 100.

I like the first one, the Eagle is not centered but the branch up the right side looks like it belongs in the shot, so it balances out the shot, and the dark richness tells its own story.

I like the first one, the Eagle is not centered but the branch up the right side looks like it belongs in the shot, so it balances out the shot, and the dark richness tells its own story.

thanks.........After I cropped it, I thought a bit more off behind the eagle would have been better balance.

what kind of camera would you use to do a eagle closer up too?

The camera doesn't matter in this case, it's the lens. He's using a 500 mm, which is a very long (and very expensive) telephoto lens. They make them for both Canon and Nikon, and they'll work on all but the basic models of both brands.

If he's using the one I think he is, you probably won't be buying one any time soon, and neither will I for that matter, since they are quite high priced...

i want to get a camera that will take closer picture like that. last night at wannacut lake i took a picture of a eagle with the camera i have now and it didnt work so i need to get a camera that can do closer up and get one that has lens on them

Penny, there are two parts to a DSLR camera. The camera body and the lens.

The Camera Body Chito is using probably cost him anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 (or more). But the lens he's using also cost him another $1,000 or more.

Taking photos of birds is not a cheap hobby...

that so true i know. i took a picture of a eagle last night and it wasnt very closer to him that for sure

im planing on spending about 900.00 dollars on a new camera when ed get his taxes which is in january 1

i have a private teacher already too and he is going to help me pick out the camera when we get the money for it

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back