Barred Owl

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Joemeche

For several years, I've covered the 3 mile stretch of Whatcom Creek, from its source at Lake Whatcom down to the waterfront. The big show has been the number of owls that I've observed, including this one enjoying lunch behind the main post office downtown.

BADO1113TwoSmC.jpg

We have as many as a half dozen nesting pairs on the creek and the action increases as spring comes in.

Joe

Nice capture, Joe. Were you in your kayak for this one? How far away and which camera are you shooting with?
I was not in my kayak for this one. ;)

I climbed a slope to get to the level where the owl was dining. I was across the creek when crows alerted me to its presence.

This shot was taken with my Nikon D90.

Good shot. Your observations of their territories is interesting. Each pair must have a home range of about a half mile radius.

Last edited:
This nest was 75' up in a Doug fir snag.

BADONestOneC.jpg
Female Barred Owl on nest in Whatcom Falls Park

I climbed to 80' in a healthy Doug fir 30' from the nest. Nice way to spend 3 hours on a rainy Sunday morning.

I believe the range for nest height is 20-50'. The same pair nested in this snag for 3 years in a row. I located their new site last spring and it's only 30' up.
I think they're mainly checking out the cavity itself for an adequate site, and they just like to keep us on our toes anyway! ;)

That's a great shot!

How many adult owls are you finding in the nest area during nesting? There's a nest in the Portland area. Nesting usually starts in the middle of March. The situation here, the past few years is where there is the female on the nest, the male in one of the neighboring trees and another adult hanging around. by about mid April, it's not uncommon to have 4-5 adults in the area, chattering and bringing food to the nest.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back