Bighorns along the Tieton and Naches rivers

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

Took my daughter back over to Ellensburg this morning and came home through Yakima and White Pass. Wow, no traffic at all going that way. I was able to stop and shoot the bighorn sheep that were coming down out of the hills. They are not feeding them at the feeding stations yet, probably not until later in December. They were pretty spread out over the hills.

"Ewe" looking at me???
393701884.jpg

Get my good side would ya?
393701881.jpg

He thought he was hiding in the bushes...
393701880.jpg

He thinks she's feeling frisky...
393701933.jpg

More of them way up the hill...
393701935.jpg

Another month and it won't be unusual to see hundreds of them along the valley.

This almost sounds as if you can see these from the car. Naw that would be too good to be true.

Great shots.

Sometimes you can see them from the car. If they are at the winter feeding station, then you can sit in the car and watch them. It's the same way with the elk when they come in to the feeding station.

awesome, I'm never lucky enough to find them LOL (of course my travels take me up & down I-5)
love #2 could see a big print of that one :)

I was up in the Steen Mtn Range near Burns, Or summer 09, and almost took out a herd of antelope, it was them, or my suv off the cliff ... managed to do neither ... my daughter did manage to get some good shots while I was saving our butts ... so, guess I have seen some wildlife on my travels LOL

There's an area on the the way to Seaside the Jewell Meadows Wildlife area where you can see elk but they are usually to far away to get good shots.

Thanks for sharing these.

And here I thought you have to put in for a river permit, draw the permit, pack for the river trip, buy food for the trip, and then raft the river with 10 of your closest friends to find bighorn sheep.

If you want to see them in another venue, paddle up the Palouse River from the mouth towards the Falls. It takes a very shallow draft boat, canoe or kayak to get over the bar and up the river, but it is spectacular.

Very nice shots.

Pops

Pops? They are along there down to Lyons Ferry?
If so I've never seen them in all these years of passing by there. Next time I need to get my binoculars out to look past the large mule deer bucks I've seen through that area. Cool, one more place to look for them. I've seen them along the Snake and Grand Ronde rivers before, but never thought to look near Palouse Falls.

I've never seen them down around Lyons Ferry, but a couple miles up the Palouse and then on to the Falls they can be seen (if you are lucky.)

Another thing to remember is that the view of the Falls from the edge of the plunge pool is really spectacular. Be very careful taking a small boat into the plunge pool itself.

That stretch is also some of the best catfish in the NorthWest. (Dang, I wish I hadn't given away my secret! :D )

Pops

I have seen Antelope and Elk at the Grant Malheur county border between John Day and Burns, I should try that trip again

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back