bird id?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Christine

A friend and i went down to the river and must have walked a mile up and back... Saw nothing really. People say that have seen Eagles, but none today. Next month will be better... Just got this one pic of a bird... dont know what it is..

bird.jpg

That is a song sparrow. They are very photogenic and will pose for you longer than most LBJs.

Thanks for the ID Bill, I'm terrrible at telling LBJ's apart. Then again, my strong points in bird ID tend to the "Flamingo", "Peacock" and "Bald Eagle" end of the scale. ;)

LBJ? Dang I thought they were LBBs (Little Brown Birds) Shows you what I know, LBJs sound more scientific. :p

I'm thinking this LBJ is a song sparrow also. You can usually tell them by a small, darker patch on middle their chest, I think I might see one. Christine, do you have any other shots that show the chest a little better?

5449868272_a47883e3db_z.jpg

a bird in the bush by Janice L, on Flickr

Last edited:
ok thanks guys...No Janice i dont have a front view of him/her.... Lbb was hopping around and wouldnt sit still.... wasnt a successful day for birding :(

Here are some shots of a song sparrow I took on 2-28-13. They are so common in the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle that I usually don't bother photographing them.

03.JPG

04.JPG

02.JPG

01.JPG

Last edited:
And a few more taken on 2-25-13. Last year the song sparrows took over a section of the marsh previously occupied by the marsh wrens.

02.JPG

03.JPG

01.JPG

05.JPG

04.JPG

Another song sparrow for Christine. Taken on a sunny Thursday (3/28/13) at the Edmonds marsh.

01.JPG

Song sparrows are so common at the marsh and fish hatchery that I would pass on taking photos of them. Now I think, "Christine might like this shot." ;)

Last edited:
Oh thanks Bill.... I will keep an eye out to spot more in this area... A hummer came to my feeder yesterday.. its been awhile since i have seen one.. :)

yeah, these guys (AKA LBB or "little brown bird") are common as dirt, but as Bill pointed out, they can be very photogenic, and will cheerfully pose for you while singing their fool heads off. i have dozens of shots of them, many from just a fewfeet away...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back