Birds in Flight suggestions: Seattle area

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

fiznatty

I've recently been contacted by someone who'd like to work on Birds in Flight photography. The problem is I can't really think of a local place where we could work on this subject consistently.

The Arboretum comes to mind, but frankly the ducks will only fly if you're tossing bread in the water, and after that they just swim around stalking you.

I am also looking into the WA Falconers Association, though it's currently impossible to access the contact info on their site.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Max

It depends on the birds and the season. What is your friend planning on shooting? And is he/or she patient enough to pursue these birds in the wild?

The species doesn't matter. The goal is to work on and improve his BiF photography technique, which is why I'm hoping we can find an area that offers up some decent opportunities during a morning or afternoon session. I'm not familiar with the more popular birding "hotspots" around here, which is why I'm welcoming suggestions.

Max

Try Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland. lots of species there, and the place is also frequented by eagles, osprey, hawks and other largish birds. not many waterfowl this time of year, but there's still some activity.

If the species doesn't matter, I say any place that attracts a lot of canada geese or gulls. They're perfect subjects for this, relatively large, slow and fly in somewhat predictable patterns.

Nisqually get thousands of geese in the fall & winter, but obviously it's going to be a while before they are back in large numbers. I don't know of any hot spots for gulls, but I'd imagine any marina/park with fishing boats or picnickers would be good.

The first place to check in with is the local Audobon Society for some of the current hotspots. Usually somebody there will know what is going on in the area. The link also has a map for destinations. You can call the refuges and see what people are reporting. The hotspots can vary from season to season.

This may sound silly but pigeons (rock doves) are everywhere, they are fun to catch in flight. A good practice target and often forgotten. They have quick bursts of flight and also glide longer distances.

Last edited:
One more comment, when considering the hotspots think of the lens you will be using. What for a birder with a 40x spotting scope may not be a hotspot for you. A little research would be in order, but then that is true of all nature photography.

Nisqually is nice, especially in spring and fall. It's quite a ways from Seattle though.

The same thing applies to the Skagit River Delta in the Mount Veron area. Come migration time, at certain locations you don't need to have much skill, just point at the sky and click, there will probably be a bird in the frame! Of course if you want a ncie shot it takes a bit more than that...

Jaunita sounds like a good local option, but it seems like there should be other ones as well. I'm drawing a blank though...

Eagles are starting to show up along the upper Carbon River near the fish hatchery in Orting. Usually where ever they are on the river there are also sea gulls around to practice on.

Anywhere down on the waterfront in Seattle will get you some flying seagulls to practice on, hang out by Ivars with an order of fries and you'll have them all around you.

here are some samples of what you can get at Juanita... obviously not all on the same day, but if you spend an afternoon there, you will get opportunities.

IMG_1764rdx_filteredsm.jpg

IMG_2130cropsm_filtered.jpg

IMG_1548asm_filtered.jpg

IMG_6864sm_filtered.jpg

IMG_1260sm.jpg

Good stuff, Rocky. Funny, I worked in Kirkland for 10 years and would see eagles and ospreys a lot, even outside the office window down by Marina Park, but in all that time I've never been to Juanita Bay. I'll have to take a little field trip over there.

Do you find that there are plenty of photo ops on foot, or is it something better explored by boat?

Max

Good stuff, Rocky. Funny, I worked in Kirkland for 10 years and would see eagles and ospreys a lot, even outside the office window down by Marina Park, but in all that time I've never been to Juanita Bay. I'll have to take a little field trip over there.

Do you find that there are plenty of photo ops on foot, or is it something better explored by boat?

Max

you can't get into the inner bay by boat... it's off limits. There are foot paths and boardwalks leading to viewing platforms that give you an unobstructed view, which is where i took these shots. be sure to allow some time... it's one of those places where if you just walk through, you probably won't see much unless you're extremely lucky. but if you spend 2-3 hours watching, it's amazing what you can see. it's really active in spring, this time of year it's more quiet, the bay is covered over with lily pads so you don't see the water fowl so much, but there are beavers, otters, and all sorts of smaller birds, and i seem to see an eagle or two almost every time i go there.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back