Blue Heron at Ridgefield National Wildlife Reserve

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

First Visit to Ridgefield!

Entered the reserve at 3:40pm so time was short and light was quickly fading...
Hope to make it back tomorrow noonish or 1pm, if it happens it will also be an
abbreviated visit.

Attachments

• 2014-11-26_15-40-55__M0A9344_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpeg
    2014-11-26_15-40-55__M0A9344_(C)DebbieLynneChally2014.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
nice shot, Debbie... the blind is a good spot for viewing, but unless you have BIG glass, you won't get much in the way of photos there... the water is a hundred yards or more away, and you'll need a 500 with a 2x converter to get enough "reach". when i went there last spring, i was quite disappointed, but i was shooting with my trusty 100-400L... can't afford the big lenses, so i have to make do with what i have. there were some spots with decent potential, but the best part about the blind was the little birds in the trees along the walkway!

Ridgefield trip

nice shot, Debbie... the blind is a good spot for viewing, but unless you have BIG glass, you won't get much in the way of photos there... the water is a hundred yards or more away, and you'll need a 500 with a 2x converter to get enough "reach". when i went there last spring, i was quite disappointed, but i was shooting with my trusty 100-400L... can't afford the big lenses, so i have to make do with what i have. there were some spots with decent potential, but the best part about the blind was the little birds in the trees along the walkway!

Good to know. And my longest lens is my mighty 70-200mm and 1.4 extender! Actually I opted for additional quality time with my family and didn't get back this past weekend. :)

with a 200mm and 1.4x, you're working with about 450mm on a crop body... too short for Ridgefield unless you're just after tweety-birds in the trees or you get lucky and find something lurking close to the road, but it might be enough for some good shots at a spot like Juanita - which is a lot closer than Ridgefield, and if you're like me, even with gas prices coming down, it's still better if you can use less! ;)

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back