Blue Heron

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

John999R

10257858_10152354340303050_1529243667691927641_o.jpg
Here's a photo I took of a Blue Heron I thought I lost over a year ago. I was using either a Canon T3 or T4i, forgot which lens and the blurry green thing on the right is a shrub. Just for info, I bought a new Canon 80D in late 2019, but for reasons below, I haven't been doing much photography with it, but so far I like the upgrades it has. I'm waiting for better weather.

My astrophotography has dropped off to zero due to mechanical or software issues that I think I may have recently resolved. Besides that, I'm facing double hip surgery and just got a referral to see a spine doctor, yup, I have a bad back too, several bulging discs, etc. I can't do much Astro imaging because of the constant stooping and bending required when setting up and performing a routine called "polar alignment". I'm confident things will get better. Fortunately, I can still ride my motorcycles, lol.

My dream solution is to have a backyard observatory, basically a shed with a roll-off roof. That way you set up once, the telescope is mounted on a permanent pier so bending and stooping are minimized. Also saving about an hour + each time you want to image because with my current set up, everything has to be carried outside, assembled, balanced, leveled, polar aligned, star aligned, cables connected, etc. When done you tear it all down and make multiple trips back and forth putting the equipment away. An observatory eliminates all that, notwithstanding improvements in accuracy, wind protection, bla, bla, bla. I think if you were to ask any amateur astrophotographer what would be their most wanted piece of equipment, or words to that effect, it would be a backyard observatory. If I had a 10'x10' or 10'x12' observatory, I would partition off about 4'-5' and create a 4' x 10' or 5 x 12' "warm room". You monitor things in comfort from the warm room without being exposed to nighttime cold or bugs, such is the case if you had an observatory without the warm room. Only one small hurdle to get over first, we have to move to a house with a bigger backyard and no neighbor's trees blocking the view of the night sky. My sky view has been shrinking over time, I predict in another year it will be impossible for me to continue the hobby. All I have to do is convince my wife we have to move, mainly for reasons unrelated to Astro imaging. Piece of cake!

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back