Cattle Egret

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Rascal

They tell me this bird is a northwest native, although I had never seen one before. It would be great to say I slogged through the marshes and waited patiently in a blind for days. However, this shot was taken at the Oregon Zoo a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 3518

Last edited by a moderator:
That is beautiful. I have seen plenty of cattle egrets because they migrated south to us in So Cal every winter...but I have never seen one in breeding plumage. Beautiful tones and controls of your white. Nicely done. And oh yeah...did I mention I really like this? ;)

Yes, well done indeed! You've done a great job on that white plumage, which is harder than it looks.

Thanks. I had rented, (on wish list), the cannon 70-200 f/2.8 L for a wedding shoot. So the next day I wanted to get some more use out of it with my year membership at the zoo. I love this lens!

Lovely shot, no sign of being captive in any way.

I've never seen them in the wild either. I did a little research and found they are migratory and can be seen in SE Oregon in places like the Klamath Basin and a rare sighting elsewhere.

Thanks for that research Janice. They were in the exhibit area titled, "The Great Northwest". In this area there are no visible signs of fence or cages. It is well hidden unless you look up. About 20 feet overhead and then down into the surrounding trees and bushes is a net.

I could eliminate most of it by adjusting the "recovery" slider but don't like what it does to the rest of the photo. I could try layering and mask out the rest.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back