caution - elk crossing

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
had to stop this afternoon for a herd of elk that decided to mosey across a side road down near Greenwater. this one seemed a bit curious as to what i was doing... ten feet away, full-frame @ 135mm on the 5D...

IMG_5880sm.jpg

Killer shot. :) This is one that both photographers and hunters long for. Is it a tad on the cool side though?

Killer shot. :) This is one that both photographers and hunters long for. Is it a tad on the cool side though?

yeah, i didn't have time to mess with the WB to warm it up a bit in the camera... i suppose i could do it in PP, but i haven't gotten around to it... ;)

Why does it look that way?

It looks almost as if it were shot under fluorescents.... Was it cloudy? I have trouble with my white mix sometimes. Still learning here and I don't have Photo Shop to do it on. Can I play with it on my computer? I won't repost it.... Thanks, C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet this one was glad you were shooting Canon and not Remington.

Lovely capture, I'm envious.

Hey Janice,

I bet this one was glad you were shooting Canon and not Remington.

Lovely capture, I'm envious.

How did you edit my post? The last words in it are yours, not mine. I have been having logging in probs too. Very funny. You can post for me anytime. :cool: C.

How did you edit my post? The last words in it are yours, not mine. I have been having logging in probs too. Very funny. You can post for me anytime. :cool: C.

Actually that was a mistake. I have administrator privileges and hit the edit key and not the quote key. Must wear my glasses.

I fixed it.

Rocky, I said I wouldn't post it but....

I'll take it down if you want me to. Just want to know if I have the right idea. I just selected "cloudy" for lighting conditions and this happened... C. :confused:

I'll take it down if you want me to. Just want to know if I have the right idea. I just selected "cloudy" for lighting conditions and this happened... C. :confused:

yeah, that's what it should look like... and would've if i'd had time to change the WB to cloudy! but the elk just sort of appeared out of the woods as i was driving down this little side road, so i had just time to stop, grab the camera, focus and shoot... this one was about 8 feet from the right side of my car. thanks! ;)

Glad you like it.

You could probably make it even better with PhotoShop. I am using Serif PhotoPlus X4. It's pretty good for the money. Good enough for my stage of expertise, anyway. I want to learn HD and all that stuff. And take a few panorama shots. That will have to wait a bit. See ya! C.

P.S. I'd like to get that close to wildlife. Herons are as wild as it gets around me, and a few nutria. That's why I pick on dragonflies and frogs and such. :D

Me too.

Just responding to the first comment.... I seldom mess with the light/tone/exposure etc. that my own camera chooses. Automatic has been good to me. :D With an expert like Rocky behind the lens, no adjustments are necessary either. C.

She's a pretty cow, indeed. GREAT shot. Tack sharp and really nice light. I've been mighty close to some Roosevelt numerous times, but without a decent zoom, I've never achieved anything this nice.

Great work, Rocky, especially for a snap out the window!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back