cherry thief (5)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
this little fella was out in the back yard this afternoon, up in my cherry tree, stealing cherries... 40D, 400mm, various settings...

IMG_8618sm.jpg

IMG_8649sm.jpg

IMG_8622sm.jpg

IMG_8639sm.jpg

IMG_8635sm.jpg

Very nice Rocky.

These guys are notorious cherry thieves? I noticed a lot of broken twigs and cherries on the ground under our big tree and was thinking that was a lot of damage for a squirrel. Hmmmm

thanks, Leia. raccoons are indeed notorious cherry thieves...broken branches are usually a sign they've been at work. squirrels are too small and light to break off branches, and will generally not take more than a couple of cherries at a time. raccoons, however, LOVE cherries, and will spend an hour or more foraging in a tree if they get the chance. fortunately for this little fella, most of the cherries he was after are well beyond what i can reach, so he's welcome to them.

*runs outside with a flash light to see if she can catch a thief*

These are so cute, Rocky.

Raccoons are just about my favorite "wild" animals. Your pictures clearly show why, making them look like pets here. I have photographed them right on my deck and the shots were not nearly this good. I am going to follow you around to see just how you do what you do. ;) Can't just be that lens of yours, can it? I know, you have to SEE.... :cool: C.

Great photos, very nice! I'm surprised you caught him in the daylight.

Interesting about the broken branches as the first thing I thought when I saw your first photo was "That branch doesn't look big enough to hold him..."

New here just checking out you guy's nice shots, these are great shots!
I've never seen a racoon in real life

great shots

for me to see raccoons i need a nite vision lens as they only snoop around at night in my area and then they are as stealthy as they can be ... but i did startle a couple of them the other night between my house and my neighbor. they booked over the fence faster than the local cats... alas no cam in hand...

those that you caught in the tree are Great!

p.i.e.

PS It's the Glass ...

Last edited:
Rocky,

I love it when this happens. Someone else sees a great picture and comments after it has lain dormant awhile and that brings it back for the rest of us to experience again....

This series of shots is the best of raccoons I have ever seen anywhere. From first to last, they are just great, but that last shot is the perfect capshot. The others lead to it and you are not let down, instead you say, "Oh my! Look at that!!!" If I didn't know better, I would think you set that up in a studio! :D:D

I have come to the conclusion that you do nothing but walk all day with that camera of yours.... I can see you now, stalking this, watching that, snap snap snap. Maybe during the night too.... capturing those city lights and starry nights. However you get these pictures, Rocky, I hope you never stop.... C.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back