Cliches

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Leia posted this comment in another discussion, and it's worth exploring.

My college photo teacher made us go out and take photos for an assignment. Forgot which, but he stated very clearly how cliche tracks were and it would be an instant "F" on the project to any student in his class who turned an image in with tracks. He wasn't even a railfan. Just an editor for a New York magazine who was tired of track images. And oh yeah, pigeon photos too...

So when does an image become cliche? It seems like there are a lot of cliches in photography. A lot of us here photograph railroads, and the "3/4 wedgie" (a train approaching the photographer at a shallow angle) is about as cliche as it gets. It's also the most common railfan photography by far.

I'm sure other genres have similiar cliches. People take them because people like them. My most well liked photos are all cliches. Photos of the Space Needle from Kerry Park, how original! (You'll find photographers there day and night, it's "over-exposed"...) photos from West Seattle, pictures of the Cedar Creek Grist Mill... All shot by thousands of others photographers. But they're what people like best. So how do you handle cliches?

Jake said:
People throw out the term cliche without understanding that no photographs are the same

I disagree. I understand that no photos are the same and I assure you my instructor knows this as well. Using the term cliche for a theme or idea itself, does not exclude the variations of that theme or idea.

But I have to agree with him that some themes are so common that to call them creative wouldn't be accurate. Not unless there was some strong or defining twist to it such as maybe something in the post processing, lighting, etc. imo, the stronger the variation or unique factor, the better.

For example, when I see postcard photos, I find most bore me. My eye skims right past most. They don't even register.

On the other hand, the more unique shots grab my attention. Whether more unique in composition, subject or post editing.....I have bought post cards just because they WERE different and they thought out of the box.

And as far as portraits? I do not prefer standard portrait photographs. But, I know they are sought after and they pay the bills, so we can then have the means and time to stretch ourselves to do more in a different direction (like some of these here). Sure, I can make the typical portrait a challenge to myself to bring out the most in a person's photo...and I enjoy that challenge....but I would much rather be doing something more unique than a over the shoulder direct camera three light shot.

Maybe instead of calling certain image themes/types cliche' (I assure you I heard far less flattering words than that in class during critique days) it would be more accurate and considerate to say instead the use of certain themes is just "very common" or "very popular". :)

Nothing wrong with popular. I listen to popular music. I think progressive rock is much more interesting (as a comparison) but I can appreciate popular too.

I think there is some validity in both points of view.

I also think the term "cliche" applies more to the theme than it does to the subject. As an example, I wouldn't consider a standard postcard view of the Leaning Tower of Pisa to be a cliche. I would probably consider it to be over done, but not really a cliche.

Where the term cliche comes in for me is when you do the shot of somebody "holding up" the Leaning Tower of Pisa. You've seen the shot, where you pose the model so they look like they're keeping it from tipping over. That was a great idea the first few times it was shot. It's still good for a laugh. But it's also a cliche, and you probably won't get your version in a magazine unless there's something really unique about the way you've done the shot.

On the other hand, some cliches are good. The bride and groom kissing for example. That's not exactly an imaginative photo. But I'd say it's safe to say most couples want that shot, cliche or not.

By the way, this seems to be a common dilemna of all artists, not just photographers. The boring and predictable sells. Most people want the familiar and comfortable. That's why critics rave may about some art film, but the weekend's big seller is always "Star Trek 18 - The return of the return of the remake of the rehash of the same old stuff"

By the way, this seems to be a common dilemna of all artists, not just photographers. The boring and predictable sells. Most people want the familiar and comfortable. That's why critics rave may about some art film, but the weekend's big seller is always "Star Trek 18 - The return of the return of the remake of the rehash of the same old stuff"

My mother is an artist who wins many awards but sells little because of this. Her work tends to evoke emotion and most buyers just want something purdy on the wall and not have to feel. I think that is why abstract art is so popular

How do I handle clichés?

I don't think about it, I shoot what I want. If it makes me happy, all is good :) I will let others worry about it ;)

Something to think about.... If a person looks at your cliché shot but has never seen that theme/type of shot etc... before, it isn't really a cliché then is it?

Last edited:
Douglas, that's the best attitude, shoot what you want, and don't worry about it!
Even if you're trying to market your work, you can always take the shots you want to take, and also take the shots you think will sell.

I often combine both approaches. I take the cliche shot, the one that will sell, and then start looking at what else I can shoot. If you don't take the obvious shot, sometimes you'll wish you had later for various reason. They're especially nice for a slideshow or series of photos where you can establish the locale with them.

Then I start taking the off the wall stuff. If you're patient and don't rush, you can usually find something different, something unusual. One tip: Always look behind you! Whether it's a scene nobody notices, or just a shot of others viewing the main scene, there's often a good shot in the opposite direction.

Play around, experiment, and with digital you can always delete the ones that didn't work.

You're also right about what you consider a cliche others might not. Also, even if they are familiar with it, the fact that it's a cliche means that folks like that view. Try and figure out what it is they like, you may learn something useful.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back