Concert Photography

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Hello everyone, I am shooting an indoor rock concert tonight and was wondering what the best settings on my camera would be to use. I shoot with a Canon 7D and use a 18-135mm IS lens 3.5-5.6, I don't have any faster lenses or telephoto lenses, so with what I have could you let me know what I can do to achieve outstanding results. Thanks...

what kind of concert? If it's a rock concert make sure camera's are permitted and if so sometimes they don't allow professional camera's w/o a special pass.

what kind of concert? If it's a rock concert make sure camera's are permitted and if so sometimes they don't allow professional camera's w/o a special pass.

x2, make sure you can take your camera, it would suck to get to the venue and have go back and leave your expensive camera in the car...or drive back home.

With that lens, if you wanted to let the camera do most of the work, I would..... Set my camera to Av mode (Aperture Value Priority) and set my Aperture to 3.5/5.6. The set your ISO to A for auto.

Ideally you would have a much faster lens for that type of environment, a 35L and maybe 135L would be fun to carry for a concert. maybe a 70-200 f2.8 (they can get heavy)......

Like what I mentioned earlier I shoot with a Canon 7D and use a 18-135mm IS lens 3.5-5.6, I don't have any faster lenses or telephoto lenses. I don't have any money to rent or purchase fast lenses.

Like what I mentioned earlier I shoot with a Canon 7D and use a 18-135mm IS lens 3.5-5.6, I don't have any faster lenses or telephoto lenses. I don't have any money to rent or purchase fast lenses.

The 7D makes decent files at high ISO, your going to have to use that to your advantage.

you can crank up the ISO and work in manual mode to find the right exposure

you can crank up the ISO and set your camera in Tv (shutter priority mode) with a shutter speed of 1/200

you can try Av mode and auto ISO

SlickPixPhotography This is off subject but how do you like the canon 7d I have been looking at the 7d kit at best buy hear in medford,Or it is on Sale for 1,698.99$ I like the feel
and weight of it and the 8 fps that is cool,the kit lens is 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM thanks

Last edited:
I know you didn't specificaly ask me....but the 7D is a phenomenal camera. Buy it. We love ours

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Digital Latte very cool i have a Canon Rebel XSi 450d and want to upgrade and use the xsi for a backup,I like the canon line of Cameras.thank you

Last edited:
Thank you for all of your comments. The concert was fun but the lighting was terrible and I got the shots I wanted but I wasn't really satisfied on how they turned out.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back