Cream of the Crop of 2009

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

For me, 2009 was certainly a difficult year in all things but photography. So far in 2010, I haven't been inspired to take anything but test shots for a newly acquired GPS logger. So I'm glad we have this thread, it's helped me appreciate some of the photos ops I enjoyed last year.

My main photo interest is Railroading, but as you can see it's not all there is.

121019567.jpg

An awesome sunset over the Olympics featuring the Twin Sons of Different Mothers Bridges, more commonly refered to as the Tacoma Narrows Bridges.

121019574.jpg

Among the ghosts of Gertie!

121019588.jpg

Sunrise over Mt. Rainier.

121019570.jpg

Reflecting Heron in Flight

121019572.jpg

The Emerald City looking a little blue.

Try this link, it looks much better there: http://www.pbase.com/ottercove/image/121019572

121019576.jpg

A Fox Island/Gig Harbor Sunset

121019578.jpg

Another take on the same above.

121019586.jpg

Never ending oportunities to show this scene in a different light.

121019580.jpg

Duck swimming in molten gold.

121019582.jpg

From molten gold to historic steam out in Mineral.

121019584.jpg

Graceful Bald Eagle in Puyallup.

121019595.jpg

Duck at Nisqually Reserve

121019599.jpg

Blue Herron taking flight.

121019601.jpg

Pt. Defiance Park. I believe this is a Lily, correct if you can.

121019603.jpg

Pt. Defiance Park. Don't know the name and my Master Garderner wife is already asleep.

121019605.jpg

Pt. Defiance Park and strike three.

121019607.jpg

Just a little closer and I'll make an impression on you!

121019609.jpg

Somewhat more powerful than the last subject and yet dwarfed by the volcano.

121019610.jpg

That's precision!

121019590.jpg

Sunrise through the fog in Gig Harbor.

121019592.jpg

The last shot of the year - my impression of that Blue Moon.

Last edited:
Stunning collection from livestock to an unbelievable train. 2009 was great for you. :)

Steve---- Really awesome collection of works you have presented to us. I just dont know which I like better, so I will have to say all. The shot of the steam is pretty cool, I like the effect on the ground.

Great work and look forward to what you have to offer in 2010!!

Chris W.

As others have said Steve, great collection!! While I'm not a birder I have to say one of my favorites is "Reflecting Heron in Flight". Something about it draws me in.

Great work. You have a broad range of subjects. They are all beautiful, the Blue Angels (?) precision flying is awesome.

Steve, I usually only get to see your railroad photography, and I always forget that you shoot so much more than just trains. Your ability to use available light and sense of composition are remarkable. Thanks for sharing this great collection with us.

Hey Dave, welcome aboard!

Oh, and thanks so much for the compliments. Certainly trains are at the top, but the passion for photography is the driving force.

Looking forward to seeing some of your anti-railroad photos. ;)

Steve, I usually only get to see your railroad photography, and I always forget that you shoot so much more than just trains. Your ability to use available light and sense of composition are remarkable. Thanks for sharing this great collection with us.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly the reason we started this forum. Steve, Robert and I were talking about photography after one of the model railroad club meetings and we came up with the idea of a place to showcase something more than just train photos. Not that there's anything wrong with train photos mind you, we all really enjoy taking them, but we also have other subjects we like to photograph too. Also, railroadforums is first and foremost about railroads. My concept was to create a place that's about photography, and specifically photography in the Pacific Northwest.

So they convinced me to go ahead with the idea, and helped me get the ball rolling. It's been about 9 months since then, and the place is continuing to grow and expand. I'm hoping that this spring and summer we can continue the growth and attract more members.

We've got some neat plans for the place, things like meetup and maybe some classes, but we need to get a certain number of participants before they can really work.

It's a Holux- looks like an oversized canister of Kodak film. Works well, eats batteries for snacks, so now I have one more device to power up in my truck.

I've been considering something like that so I can pinpoint my shots on my hikes. I have a GPS but I don't like to keep it powered up for tracking and drain its batteries. Darn batteries.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Like most electronic devices that interface to a computer, at least half the value is in the software that comes with the device. I've only used this product, so I can't make any first hand comparisons, but the software seems pretty reasonable.

It allows you to download logs from the device, create a project (link the photos to the logs) and finally add the co-ordinates to the photos exif data.

I save the project in the same folder as the photos, so I can then load the project to see where the images were taken. There is also a link to Flickr, but I use Pbase, so I can't say how well that works.

There are several manufactures of these things, including Sony.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back